Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #11

Re: Nile cruise

Thats right as Mags said it I remember Jill and co did stay at a hotel or two....I can ask if you like, but like Mags said the best you can afford is the better option.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
27-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #12

My son did a Nile cruise in December last year and he's only 21! He loved it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
28-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #13

Thanks for all your responses.
It's not easy finding somewhere pleasantly warm in December/January without going half-way round the world but I think the Nile, followed by a week flopping on a sunbed at a Red Sea resort doesn't sound too bad at all.
I acknowledge the poverty issues and have worked this through in my head. There was a time when I would have refused point blank to 'exploit' other people like this but I have come to the view that, actually, it is a way in which us 'rich' ordinary people can do something concrete to help, if only in a tiny way.
I'll keep you posted.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
28-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #14

Yes, you are right IMO to look at it that way. After all, poor people cannot benefit from tourist income if there are no tourists.

I look forward to hear whether you decide to go!

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 2 moggies = DLH and DMH
31-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #15

Hi Dm,
I did a nile cruise in 1996 as part of a police exchange between australia and egypt that i was on with 30 other police officers.. we did have a good time... it was relaxing... although the nile isn't wide at all... and you spend a lot of time getting on and off the boat at the different stops... certainly lots to see... but even for a history nut like me you can tend to get "templed out"

if you are planning a trip to egypt.. in my personal opinion you shouldn't miss Abu Simbel and if you have the opportunity to spend a few days on the red sea coast.. maybe somewhere like Hurgardha or sharm el sheik... the waters are beautiful and warm and wonderful for snorkelling and seeing the fish.. if you want any further info.. i can dig out my egypt diary and hunt through it to see what else is there..I keep a diary for every contry that i visit...
it's fun planning a trip...
im nearly finished planning ours for later on this year i actually booked the flights yesterday!

take care
Jo

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
31-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #16

Never been on a cruise but have heard they are really good and the Nile cruise is meant to be fantasic as other people have posted, if you do go I think you will have a great time

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
31-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #17

Thanks Jo
Nile Cruise is supposed to be on The Bucket List, as the current film is called, so we are investigating all the possible permutations now. Add Red Sea? Luxor? Cairo?
Hopefully we'll decide in a little while --- or we'll do a 180degree turn and say Nah . .. lets do the Florida Keys! (another one on the Bucket List)

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
31-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #18

The cruises usually set off from Luxor and go down to Aswan where you can then take a coach trip to see Abu Simbel. OH did the trip (4am start), I didn't. He said it was amazing. If there you must see the Cataract Hotel which is a lovely old colonial place. They do 'high tea' or alternatively you can stay over there for a couple of days - it's very luxurious

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
31-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #19

Many famous people have stayed at the Cataract Hotel and I do believe Agatha Christie wrote many whodunnits in her suite there, including the obvious one "Death on the Nile"

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
31-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #20

This would be my dream holiday and i'm only 24, I don't think that's classed as too old yet? My mum has been to Egypt this year but didn't so the cruise. definitely on my list!