Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
27-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #1

Nile cruise

Has anyone done a Nile cruise or are you all far too young?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
27-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #2

Re: Nile cruise

Are you thinking of doing one?

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #3

Mmm, maybe

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #4

Well, Mags has been to Egypt, but can't remember if a cruise was part of it..... don't think so. What's age got to do with it? I''m not quite old enough to have had lunch with Pharoah Rameses...I'm apparently missing the allusion?

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #5

I don't think it's a first choice holiday for the young and trendy - but maybe I'm wrong.
It looks rather pleasant - some relaxation but a lot of fascinating historical sight-seeing opportunity too

Catsey Veteran

27-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #6

Ah so! Makes sense now. It does sound lovely. Young and trendy I'm not.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
27-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #7

Being such a young and trendy person myself , I'm afraid to say that I haven't yet done any sort of cruise although i do quite fancy a few days on the Norweigan Fjiords.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
27-03-2009, 07:06 PM   #8

My cousin Jill and her husband Pete did a Nile cruise 6 years ago when Gill was 55 and Pete 60 it was also their 35th wedding anniversay and they went with her sister Joanie and her husband Phil.
Jill said the cruise was brilliant something she would reccomend and would and has done again, everything on hand and very relaxing. However she said being fair she seemed to be a target and felt uneasy especially in the city off the ship without Pete or Phil nearby even if Jill and Joani strayed behind as they do shopping they felt uneasy and is a normal confident woman.
Although Pete did almost accept an "offer for Jill" but was told by the ships tour guide this was not a joke...and ...gracefuly backed out. SHe was not amused.

She said the poverty was terrible and she is a fair bit soft with regard to children... andsis cry but this was the first time they had ever been abroad I think she has toughened slightly since then. When you holiday in Wales and the furest you've been is Scotland its a shock.I would think.

They also reccomended taking pencils little crayons/rubbers/anything small for the children as they were so proud of anything like that.

But they thoroughly enjoyed it and have cruised since, and do every Christmas now.
They have also returned to Eygypt same place Mags went last year.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #9

We went about 10 years ago (maybe more). It was nice; certainly the scenery/tours and the boat. We both did have a bit of an issue with the cliques that developed amongst the people on the boat.

You do end up feeling like a bit of a sheep, being herded everywhere . . . but if you're OK with that and are happy to muck in and 'play the game' then you're probably going to love it.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
27-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #10

I've never taken a Nile Cruise as I don't particularly like spending
a lot of time on the water. However, last year we spent hours on the banks of the Nile watching dozens and dozens of Cruise Ships pass by........ a wonderful sight!

Through chatting to other holiday makers last year I did gain some info about the cruises.

There are about 250 - 300 boats on the Nile. They range in categories 3* 4* 5* etc, they also have ratings ie 5* Standard, 5* Deluxe and 5* Super Deluxe. I personally would suggest going for the highest rating you can afford as some of the cruise ships are rather 'disappointing' to look at.

The excursions from the ships usually start early in the morning - anytime from 6.00am so that you have time to visit the sites before it gets too hot. Strangely the heat is more bearable there than in the UK due to the very low humidity.

I agree with Kazz in saying there is a lot of poverty in Egypt, the hassling and haggling can be overbearing at times but the country's wealth lies in their array of ancient relics which more than compensates for it.

Oh..... and some of the passengers from the ships stayed at our hotel for a few days and their ages varied from 20's upwards...