Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

View Poll Results: Is it appropriate to post about acts of cruelty to cats onCatsey?
Yes, we should not bury out heads in the sand 9 60.00%
No, Catsey memebrs are aware but don't need horror on the site 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
01-11-2006, 01:01 PM   #1

Is it appropriate to post about acts of cruelty to cats on Catsey

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it repulsive to log in, search for new posts and read horrible, sickening acts of cruelty about cats?
It is actually making me reluctant to come on the forum now - the daily horror spot.
I don't really see what relevance it has to us cat-dotty people. Doesn't mean we all think the world is pretty-pink and nothing awful ever happens, just that this doesn't feel an appropriate place.

So - a poll.
If I'm in a minority of one that's fine; I'll shuffle off elsewhere

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
01-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #2

Re: Is it appropriate to post about acts of cruelty to cats on Catsey

Do you know thats exactly what I was thinking today when I logged in and saw the "new" post. I was very reluctant to actually click in this case onto the "main" cat chat button in case the post popped up. Sorry I know the world ain't always as nice as I would want but don't want it rammed in my face.

I may join you in the shuffle to DM.

Catsey Veteran

01-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #3

Thanks Kazz.
I should have added in my first post that I don't mean to offend or be nasty to anyone who has made such a post .... it was just my thought that the majority would prefer not to see them

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #4

I feel the same way as you and Kazz, DM, we all know it goes on...But, I hate to log in and read about it....
will join the shuffle too....

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Black Moggie
andrew021 is Male
01-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #5

I posted one of the stories you mentioned.

This is a forum to discuss whatever topics one chooses about cats or whatever. People have the option to read the thread or not, their choice.

I believe these stories show what really goes on around the country relating to cats and other animals.

I certainly read them and take an interest in them, it makes me realise that not everyone is a cat (animal) lover and people must be evil to do what they do. It does make me sad and sick to read whats happening to other animals.

It makes me appreciate Jet more and to have her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
01-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #6

I think we are all aware of what goes on, and have discussed this many times on Catsey.....But at the end of the day there is not much any of us can do, until they start to give these evil**** prison sentences fitting the crime!!!Hope I have not offended anyone, but this is how I feel....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #7

I don't really have too much of a problem with these posts as I usually just choose not to read them. Or I read as much as I can bear to read.

I think we had a discussion a while back concerning this, and the consensus was that as long as a warning was posted in the heading or alternatively the article was linked to, rather than copied and pasted into the thread it gave people ample warning should they choose not to read on. Maybe this can become a forum rule for the future??

We are all aware that there are horrible things that go on in the world . . . so is there value in starting such threads? Well, ultimately yes (IMO). It continually reminds us that there are dreadful people out there and conversely there are people that deal with the fallout of this on a daily basis and maybe it'll just help us all be a little more vigilant in spotting impending signs of animal abuse that might help in the future to save an animal's life.

I think there are some on this forum that fall into both categories above; working with rescue cats who have been potentially abused and those who have on an invidual basis helped an animal at risk or in distress (and no, I don't mean there are any in the animal abusers category here)!!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
01-11-2006, 02:38 PM   #8

I definatly agree there should be a warning in the post title about it, if people want to post such things, but I'd rather not see posts like that everyday.

I think the news story about the cat and the firework is a harsh reminder that people seem to do this every year and its important to keep your cats indoors after dark during firework season, just in case.
There are some lessons to be learnt from that post so I think that is OK

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: tabby
01-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #9

I think it should be ok to post anything cat-related here. Personally, I don't read such posts because I can't bear to read such things.

Catsey Veteran

01-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #10

I don't read them either Sandy - but there's no need to read them and there's no avaoiding them when there are such graphic thread titles - you can already imagine the scene, smell the fear, see the terror........... just awful

Closed Thread