Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
27-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

Prior to release..

Newest charge, a young wood pigeon, found flailing around on the pavement on his back lots of feathers in the road last Sunday morning. I reckon he'd just been stunned by a car and had somehow managed to get himself onto the pavement in desperation to save himself. When I approached with the throw he tried to scurry away from me but very very wobbly on his legs.

Progress is good, no visible wounds, loss of feathers due to shock and possibly a bit of superficial bruising going on; test flight went fine, he is eating and drinking fine and now in the outside run where he enjoys watching the wild birds in the garden feeding. He loves his fresh blackberries, which is what he had (obviously!) been eating when I found him, not giving him too many because I don't want him drunk! He is obviously feeling better and more confident today and now looking to release in the next day or so. Wood pigeons are very gentle birds and need quiet time to recover.

He shuffled to the back when I went to take the photo, good sign.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
27-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #2

Re: Prior to release..

what a lovely story truth. I'm so glad you saved him.
I must admit to not knowing what to do if i find an injured bird.
I once removed a wood pigeon from the road, it was bleeding a bit from the eyes and the wing looked damaged.
Had to take it to the vet but i'm afraid the outcome wasn't good.
Your boy looks in fine fettle, hope the release goes well

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
27-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #3

Hope the release goes well truth ..... he's a lucky bird to have had you there to rescue him.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
27-08-2014, 10:56 PM   #4

Well done for rescuing him, he looks well. Hope the release goes well. I do love pigeons and my particular favourite are collared doves.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
28-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #5

Well done! That's my worst nightmare, I wouldn't be able to handle a bird (feather phobia) but I would be very upset by this as I don't like to see any animal suffering.

Pleased your chap seems to be recovering well.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
03-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

Fly free little one, may the angels protect you.

It's been a bit of a worry as he just went to ground when I released him in the woods, he was so traumatised from what had happened to him being hit he just couldn't feel that he could take off! I got him checked over with a very competent and kind vet just to be sure and he said that he is in good shape and he'll be fine, when the concussion is completely gone he'll want to go. Sure enough this morning he was pacing up and down telling me, 'ok, now I'm confident and well enough I want to go'. Door open, he hopped up on the run, stood on the top for a good 10 minutes to get his bearings then off to the rooftop he flew, such a good moment, bless him. Within 15 minutes he was flanked on the rooftop either side by 2 adult wood pigeons, so hopefully he'll find the protection of a flock to join soon. I kept watching and last I saw of him he flew towards the woods.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #7

Sad and happy in one go, truth! Fly safely now Woody.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #8

oh, it brought a lump to my throat.
He is so lucky you found him in time and poured all the care into him.
May he enjoy the rest of his life now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
05-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #9

Off you go young chap! Thank you for sharing this story with us Truth, and thank you for giving 'woody' his second chance