Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
11-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

Running and dogs

I don't know what was going on tonight but I ended up a nervous wreck after my run! I often meet a dog or two, usually the owner spots me or if I'm behind them then I make a noise so they know I'm coming and the owner stops and distracts or holds their dog. We smile and I pass, nervously! Tonight I was run at by four dogs. One the owner said was scared which is why it was running towards me barking (IT was scared?!?), the second, belonging to the same woman, was also scared apparantly. If their reaction to being scared is to run at the thing they are scared of, barking, shouldn't they be on a lead? The first dog was big and VERY scary and I was on public footpaths used by a lot of people.

5 minutes later two more dogs barrel toward me with their owner in the background saying daft things like 'oh you know that's bad' - not a word to the runner stood frozen in terror! These two were also pretty big.

Now nothing bad happened, I wasn't hurt and I'm sure the dogs wouldn't hurt anyone but I don't KNOW that when being run at by (to me) barking, slavering, hounds of the flamin' Baskervilles. Why do people walk dogs like this off the lead when they can't control them?

Sorry- rant over. I'm wondering if running in shin pads would make me feel safer!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #2

Re: Running and dogs

When I was running regularly I didn't have this problem as our leash law was in effect. How scarey for you! People don't seem to realize that to non-dog people having large ones charge at you like that can be very very unnerving, to put it mildly!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
12-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #3

Inconsiderate owners!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #4

I don't blame you for being scared CS - as a child I used to be terrified of big dogs as I was knocked over by one when I was a toddler. I apologise on behalf of dog owners - we know that Monty barks at walkers, runners, horses, cyclists and so don't let him off lead on public footpaths. Monty is just excited and we have no reason to think he would attack anyone and he's only just 5 months old - but we appreciate that an onlooker wouldn't know that.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
12-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #5

My sis has a dog who is now 4 and she would never tolerate behaviour like that from him. She had him at classes from the time he was a pup so he's a good well trained boy now.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #6

Irresponsible dog owners...I make my girls sit and wait when I see a runner...

Catsey Veteran

12-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #7

I know most dog owners are responsible, a VERY few are totally irresponsible and some are just a bit thoughtless and can't understand how anyone could be scared of their lovable pooch.
Thanks to those who keep excitable pups on leads or get their dogs to sit and wait. It is appreciated and I always smile and gasp out 'thanks'- mind you, depending on how late in the run it is and how hot it is the smile may be more of a grimace and the 'thanks' probably sounds more like 'unks'!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #8

You runners are to be admired CS! As a lifetime asthmatic, I have always envied those who can run - on the rare times I've managed a short distance, I've felt liberated.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
13-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #9

I always either put Darcy back onto the lead or into a sit when we see a runner and will try to avoid them if possible.

When I was in London though, Kindly and I had a bad experience with a jogger who instead of going around us (Kindly was on a lead next to me as we waited for him to pass), tried to jump over her which spooked her. She moved out of his way and he kicked her.
Obviously he was just an idiot but it made me very wary of having a dog around joggers. I would hate for my dog to jump up at anyone like that.

Catsey Veteran

14-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

What a daft jogger! A hassle free run today, I passed a lovely bassett hound whose owner made it sit and wait until I'd passed. They look so sad !