Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
01-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #11

Re: Smoking Ban

but non-smokers have been stuck at home!

now its there turn to go out LOL

I don't see the problem - we live in a time when cases of asthmas are on the increase - why should these people be made more ill by smokers?

smokers don't have to stick at home they can still go out - notice there are tables and patio heaters for smaokers outside now - did we non-smokers have any of that? - no - did any-one care? no!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #12

It would be interesting to know the smokers views on smoking being a health hazard....

I am not a smoker but I have to admit it is good to be able to go into a restaurant now and not have to inhale the smoke of others...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
01-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #13

I agree the smokers cannot say their choice has been taken. When did the non smokers ever have a choice????

Everyone knows what harm smoking causes to people. My mum and dad smoked for years until they both gave up around 12 years ago.... my dad's heart attack today is no doubt down to all the years he smoked.

Why should non smokers have to suffer the same effects when they chose to look after themselves and be as healthy as they can?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
01-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #14

I'm afraid this is one of those topics that you have to agree to disagree, there is never a right or wrong with these types of debates, we all have our own opinions.

Interesting...my hubby is an ex-smoker but even he thinks the Government has gone too far implementing the no smoking ban

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
I'm afraid this is one of those topics that you have to agree to disagree, there is never a right or wrong with these types of debates, we all have our own opinions.

Interesting...my hubby is an ex-smoker but even he thinks the Government has gone too far implementing the no smoking ban

He's trying to keep you sweet Fran!

Catsey Veteran

01-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags
[/b]

He's trying to keep you sweet Fran!

Not at all Mags, he'd love me to give up but we have had many serious conversations about the smoking ban and he really does think the Government has taken away a basic right of choice...

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: 5 moggies
01-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Not at all Mags, he'd love me to give up but we have had many serious conversations about the smoking ban and he really does think the Government has taken away a basic right of choice...

but isn't that the difficult point here - with one hand they have taken away a basic right of choice....but with another they have given a basic right of choice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #18

I am not saying the smokers choice has been taken from them and as I have said I dont mind the ban in pubs and resteraunts but it becomes incredulous when people start talking about implementing a ban on the streets and in cars. What next? The nation is too fat so lets ban chocolate?
I agree this is not a debate to be won and each has their own opinion and my own personal opinion is that there are bigger things than smoking that need to be addressed by this government.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Ragdoll, 2 Siamese & a Balinese
01-08-2007, 07:34 PM   #19

I am a non-smoker and I agree with the ban totally in restaurants and other food-serving places. It's so nice to have a meal and go out and not come home stinking of smoke and wanting to wash my hair before going to bed!!! lol

When I lived in Australia they have a smoking ban on food serving places and it works really well over there.

I agree that people should have a choice though and I think it would be sensible to have some pubs that smokers can still go into and smoke, and others where non-smokers can go and be smoke free.

It is a tough one.

When I was growing up both my parents smoked really heavily at home and I think that has made me quite anti-smoking. Having said that, my mum still smokes (as do many of my friends) and it's just one of those things where we'll have to agree to disagree.

(Great topic Erin!! )

Catsey Veteran

01-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
I am not saying the smokers choice has been taken from them and as I have said I dont mind the ban in pubs and resteraunts but it becomes incredulous when people start talking about implementing a ban on the streets and in cars. What next? The nation is too fat so lets ban chocolate?
I agree this is not a debate to be won and each has their own opinion and my own personal opinion is that there are bigger things than smoking that need to be addressed by this government.

I absolutley agree 100%