Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
17-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #31

Re: chickens

Fran, my grandma's chickens weren't noisy at all, just gentle soft clucking, unlike the rooster, who as everyone knows is noisy!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #32

It's the possible noise that puts me off more than anything tbh. Our neighbours on one side are not the most tolerant of animal noises So reassuring to hear they are not particularly noisy! I've been looking at the eglu on the Omlet website, looks really fabby

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
17-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
It's the possible noise that puts me off more than anything tbh. Our neighbours on one side are not the most tolerant of animal noises So reassuring to hear they are not particularly noisy! I've been looking at the eglu on the Omlet website, looks really fabby
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone mentioned Eglus A few of my friends have got them & they are good.. It's a great forum on Omlet. There are 2 catsey members who use it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #34

The Eglus are very funky! If you want a traditional hen house look here http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/ - very smart!
I would love to have a little clutch of laying hens or bantams. Impractical in our tiddly garden and anyway we have a covenent against pig and poultry keeping! That may be what you think of as a law. It's not a law, strictly speaking, but a restriction on the use of the land, imposed by the original landowner and the builder in this case. Charlie will be able to explain it more if you really really want to know more
Chickens would not cause a noise nuisance - they just murmer as they go about their day, maybe a call of triumph/relief as they lay. Cockerels are quite different but unless you want to eat them there's not much point in having them. Even keeping one with the hens can be a mistake as they often turn into nasty bullies.

Smudgley - how are things at Smudgley towers today? Hope there are no red eyes and that you are looking forwards rather then going 'what if/if only'. I think you should restock as soon as you feel able. Maybe get different looking girls (Marans - grey speckles which lay almost chestnut brown eggs?), or a few exotic bantams - little girls with feathered feet etc?
Take care

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgley
I knew it wouldn't be long before someone mentioned Eglus A few of my friends have got them & they are good..
Are the runs really fox proof? and they don't look overly big, are they big enough for 2 or 3 hens?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
17-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #36

I must admit that they seem very small to me.

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Are the runs really fox proof? and they don't look overly big, are they big enough for 2 or 3 hens?
I wouldn't have one & I doubt if the run would really be fox proof, with a very determined fox but the eglus certainly are fox proof. IMO they are way too small though.

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #38

Smudgley - how are things at Smudgley towers today? Hope there are no red eyes and that you are looking forwards rather then going 'what if/if only'. I think you should restock as soon as you feel able. Maybe get different looking girls (Marans - grey speckles which lay almost chestnut brown eggs?), or a few exotic bantams - little girls with feathered feet etc?
Take care[/quote]

Things are good here today. We have had a discussion about a few things in general, not so much the chickens, just a few things about being responsible.

We are geting chickens again, as soon as we can. MAybe this weekend or next one.

I will still encourage the girls to be helpful & take part in loking after the chickens, they are our family pets & I wouldn't tell them they couldn't go near them.... no point in that. However they do now know that they need to be mindful of routines etc.

A lesson to us all & myself & John will check the chickens when we go down the cat pen to put the cats to bed each evening.

We are getting some black rocks & calder rangers. Can't wait!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #39

Maybe put a board up outside Smudgley saying chickens in chickens out or a flag to run up a pole when the chickens are out.

Catsey Veteran

17-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Maybe put a board up outside Smudgley saying chickens in chickens out or a flag to run up a pole when the chickens are out.
Don't think the board would work, but I love the flag idea Kazz, that is so clever. I might see what John thinks. The flag could be near the house, not the pen, so we know when they are out. Kazz that's great!