Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: torbie/white & 2 siamese xs
21-12-2008, 09:44 PM   #1

tigger is adjusting...

to having the use of only one eye. the tumor has finally completely covered the other.
it made me sad last night as he likes to drink out of the faucet and he is not used to his new vision yet and was trying to drink about eight inches to the right to the stream of the water for a bit before finally finding it.
i know animals adjust to such things but it made me question how happy he is...also, despite eating lots he seems to be losing weight if you pick him up he is lighter.
weighing things in my mind right now and watching him closely ...it's hard to figure out if he is just adjusting or it's getting to the point of too much.
i need to watch more closely now though, that is for sure.
just needed to vent to my catsey friends and update.
don't worry, i won't draw it out if he is not happy. i just can't tell yet and this is such a rollercoaster. it's hard to tell which way is up or down.
thanks for listening.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
21-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #2

Re: tigger is adjusting...

I think you'll now when it's time. He does sound as if he's adapting well to monovision; they are so clever. Old cats do seem to lose weight even though they're eating well, at least Patches did. Do let us know how the dear old boy is doing, Tink, we care. ((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #3

thank you. what is crazy is we've gone through several pounds of food in one week! it's like he's eating more which leaves me thoroughly confused.

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #4

I'm just guessing. but I think perhaps their metabolism slows down as they age and the body is actually getting less nutrients from the food. Could be wrong, hope PL will see this thread, she probably knows.

Patches was aways a rather skinny cat, she only weighed 8 1/2 pounds, but ate like a horse. She was half again as large as Dandy, my Pura boy (a small breed), but he weighed the same...they are a very solid cat.
An idea...might he eat kitten food? I know it's richer than adult food.

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #5

maybe..thing is his sister is dainty but he weighed in at 14 lbs. a few months ago so he's a big guy.
he just fell over onto his back trying to jump about a foot and a half to his bed.
before i could do anything, he tried again and made it though..

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #6

I suspect that's the sight ...when I had cataract surgery and had to have the eye covered for a day I found it quite difficult to judge distance. No depth vision.

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #7

yes, i was thinking that as well. he kinda of wobbled over before he could jump (didn't get off the ground), then rolled onto his back. broke my heart. cringed because i would think he's old and achey to be rolling around like that.
thanks for talking with me about it and your advice. i do appreciate it. i'm kind of thinking out loud here. maybe he is just adjusting. i hope he doesn't hurt himself though.

Catsey Veteran

21-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #8

Tink, talk to me any time you want, here or PMs; God knows I'm no expert but contribute what I can, even if it's just a listening ear or a shoulder to moan on. As you may know, Misty went blind...both eyes...when she was about 18, and she was so clever at concealing it I thought it was just her arthritis making her hesitate a long time before jumping, and she did misjudge and fall a few times. I felt so bad when I realized it was the blindness, not her arthritis. Didn't know back then they had medication for cats for that... she did cope amazingly well. Of course she didn't have a condition like Tigger, which does make it different ball game in a way. She died in her sleep at 19 1/2. So, do what you're doing, give him the love and care he's had since he's been with you and he'll let you know when it's time/

So hard, isn't it.....

Catsey Veteran

22-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #9

definitely.
i think i keep doubting my judgement and questioning myself over and over if i am doing the right thing. it's hard when you have a kitty that is having "good moments" then bad and deciding which they're having more of. that's really a dilemna with me..the doubt and worry. though i guess you never stop worrying about your babies and that's normal. i also have that fear the tumor's somehow big enough to affect neurological. i really need to just calm down and wait and see...(as hard as that can be) for his greater good.
also i keep thinking about how his prognosis was for so much shorter and if i've prolonged things. sorry, again with the doubt.
thank you for telling me about misty.
*hugs to you for being such a good friend*

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
22-12-2008, 05:59 AM   #10

Aww Tink, it really must be a very worrying and stressful situation. Take each day as it comes and I have no doubt that Tigger will adjust and manage just fine. I have no experience with tumours in animals but I'm sure your vet will guide you through the process of treatment etc as smoothly as possible.

Big hugs to you and chin tickles to special boy Tigger.