Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: 1 female medium hair domestic
10-10-2006, 01:45 AM   #1

new here and needing help

Hello everyone,

I am new, not only to this site but to being a cat owner as well and I need some advice.

About 1.5 months ago, I noticed a stray cat running around my neighborhood. She was so very skinny. You could see bones when you looked at her. About 2 weeks after I started seeing her, I started feeding her and my daughter talked me into keeping her. SHe has since gone to the vet 3time and has had leukemia testing, immunizations and xrays. She is in great health, other than the fact that she hasn't been taken care of very well. She has since gained 2.5 pounds in 3 weeks and is doing much better. I love her very much, as do my 3 daughters.

Now, the problem.....one of my neighbors came forward yesterday and claims to be the cats owner. SHe did state, however, that her cat was a male. This cat is a female. She seemed to be ok after I told her it wasn't male but later on in the day, while looking for the cat, I found it sitting in the neighbors window, looking out at me and meowing. We called the police who let her keep the cat for now because there is nothing they can do. The officer said that he is going to turn it over to the Animal COntrol Officer. She told the Officer that that is her cat and that I just think it's a female because it has been neutered. Even the vet says its a female.

NOt sure where to go from here. Any advice would be nice. Even if it is her cat, the vet said that the cat was neglected.....could this be used as a defense to keeping the cat?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-10-2006, 02:04 AM   #2

Re: new here and needing help

Missy, what a terrible story! Never been in a situation like this so don't really know if the law is on your side or not. When you said she told "the officer" did you mean the police officer or the Animal Control officer? If not the latter, you might want to contact them to see if they can offer any advice. Or do you have an attorney friend who might be able to suggest the next step? That poor little girl needs to be back with you where she's wanted, loved and cared for! Please let us know what happens!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
10-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #3

Hi and welcome to Catsey x

Violet, Mau Mau, Vincent and Mabel wave a paw x

Poor Kitty I hope someone can help x

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #4

Hello, I don't know how the law works in the U.S., however I would try and get a testimonial from the vet and make a log with a timeline of what has happened together with any additional, anecdotal comments from other neighbours or friends with whom you've discussed the cat's problems and who will be able to support you.

Then put pressure on the police and animal welfare people citing potential neglect and cruelty IF this person is the owner.

Good luck - I hope that might help a little; please do let us know how you get on.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #5

Hello Missie, a warm welcome to Catsey!

What an awful situation to be in! Are there any other neighbours near this woman who could verify that the cat belongs to her?
If it is her cat, it definately sounds like she was neglecting it and it would be far happier with you.

Good luck....and please let us know how you get on...

Cats owned: 1 female medium hair domestic
10-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #6

Thank you all for all of your support.

I have great news!!!!!

I left a message on the police officer's voice mail yesterday because he told me originally that the neighbor was thinking about just giving us the cat back yesterday morning and that if she didin't, he wanted us to call him. I told him on the voice mail that I wasn't happy with the decision he made and that since I was the one with proof from the vet that I had been treating the cat that I thought I should be the one to have the cat until this all got sorted out. Anyway, when we got up this morning, the cat was on our front porch meowing to come in. I'm not sure if the police officer brought her or if my neighbor did, but I know someone did because my neighbor hadn't let her outside since she got her.

Boy, was she ever happy to see us!!!:

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #7

Oh, I'm delighted!!!

Let's hope you can hang on to her and your neighbour stops all this silliness

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
10-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #8

Welcome to Catsey! Hope it all works out now and that the neighbour doesn't cause any more problems. I would definately keep the cat inside for the time being until it is all sorted properly. Keep us updated!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
10-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #9

That's great news, I hope your neighbour will back off now

Have you chosen a name for the kitty yet?

Please let us know how things progress

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 10 cats (stray stayed) 3 sleeping x
10-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #10

Great news I bet your heart melted and your eyes watered up! Dont let kitty out of your sight until everything is sorted. x