Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
10-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #31

Re: Monty Bogle vs. Shaun the Sheep!

When the coat is ready to be stripped, all you do is take a few hairs between your finger & thumb and gently tug, or i have seen people gently tease the hair to test if its ready t come out, the dog feels no discomfort as the hair is ready to come out. Remember, other dogs like Boxers, Labs and so on shed hair themselves, other breeds need help. You do however need to do it at the right time when the coat ready to be stripped. If it's not ready, it won't come out plus your dog will most definitely let you know

Furminator: Im not a fan but then again our Boxer coats are very short and close. I find a damp chamoi leather just as efficient plus it gives the coat a lovely sheen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
10-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #32

aww wee monty!! im sure it wont be long before his hairs grown back!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
10-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #33

I call it plucking . Rayne just stands and lets you do it when it's ready to come out. Dont think she'd just stand and take it if it was hurting her in any way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
10-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandysmom
"Pluck"?? What exactly is handstripping; are you actually pulling out hairs one by one?

Eileen you do make me laugh..................

Catsey Veteran

10-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
When the coat is ready to be stripped, all you do is take a few hairs between your finger & thumb and gently tug, or i have seen people gently tease the hair to test if its ready t come out, the dog feels no discomfort as the hair is ready to come out. Remember, other dogs like Boxers, Labs and so on shed hair themselves, other breeds need help. You do however need to do it at the right time when the coat ready to be stripped. If it's not ready, it won't come out plus your dog will most definitely let you know

Furminator: Im not a fan but then again our Boxer coats are very short and close. I find a damp chamoi leather just as efficient plus it gives the coat a lovely sheen
Totaly agree a damn chammy and happiness Do oyu know I have the same chammy I had for my first Stafford in 1975/6.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Eileen you do make me laugh..................
But why? Apparently that was a dumb question, but I'd never heard exactly what handstripping was, and plucking sure sounds like pulling out to me ...

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
10-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #37

Quote:
But why? Apparently that was a dumb question, but I'd never heard exactly what handstripping was, and plucking sure sounds like pulling out to me ...
Eileen, from one cat person who has never actually owned a dog to another I'm right with you on this one, it's all greek to me!....I always thought handstripping was something you did to the walls of a house!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
10-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #38

Oh thanks, Truth!! I used to help my Grandma pluck chickens when I was little, and that meant to pull out.

Catsey Veteran

11-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #39

I meant it in the nicest possible way.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
11-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #40

Quote:
When the coat is ready to strip, the hair is dead - a dOg like a Boxer ir Lab will shed it all over the house & car - nit like tge cats (excluding the car ). So when you take a small amount between finger & thumb & give a (very gentle) pull it comes away immediately. If there is any resistence at all, the coat isnt ready, so you leave it.

Clipping doesnt take away the dead hair, just top layer of the dead hair