Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Black & White
03-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #1

Feral Cats

This is how naive I am when it comes to cats... What makes a Feral Cat, Feral? Or should I say, what do people mean when they say that a cat is Feral?

Admin Team

Cats owned: Bengal
Az is Male
03-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #2

Re: Feral Cats

A 'wild' ish cat I thought? Not a cat that got lost but one that was born in the wild? not sure tho!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
03-10-2005, 02:47 PM   #3

Hi
A ferral cat is one that is wild. It possibly lives on a farm, mates and has kittens then it all happens again. They have no human interaction, and WILD

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Black & White
03-10-2005, 02:50 PM   #4

Thanks Azz & Jac.
I had a feeling that is what was meant by the term, but wanted to be sure.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
03-10-2005, 02:55 PM   #5

They are also very difficult to tame being so nervous of people. Sometimes if you catch a kitten young you can raise it as a pet.....I managed it once when a family of 4 feral kittens were roaming around our garden...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
03-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #6

some cats start off as someones pet - but then wonder off or get left behind when people move house, these cats have obviously had a good initially social upbringing. So even though they may live out & fend for themselves they are not feral cats.
however some cats are born outside & have only ever known that life to fend for themselves - they have had no social interaction & they are ferral. they grow up have kittens & before you know it they are everywhere. They live in "colonies" like little families.
I have never tamed a ferral cat - although I have successfully reared & tamed ferral kittens no problem (taking care not to upset mom in the process)