Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 B+W Moggies
07-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #1

Help, another cat, another pregnancy, advice needed

Just found out Evie's kittens (my cat to be) were fathered by the local tom Please, she is not in my care just yet, and will be neutered when she comes to me.

Apparently, the he lives next door and the neighbour sees it as not her problem

Spoken to the gentleman involve (Evie's current, soon to be previous owner) and he said his 5 yr old female is now pregnant. I can see so many dangers with a 5 yr old cat being pregnant.

Obviously, this is the responsibily of both owners to get their cats spayed and neutered, and to try and reduce the number of moggie in recues and on the streets.

this cat is also looking for a home. I am so tempted to offer her a home here and get her out of this cycle, but at the same time, my OH would be most upset at another cat, and even more upset when she has her kittens.

I would be able to look after her (the additional one) but she would have to be neutered and rehomed after kits had gone.

Just feels like these cats are stuck in a cycle or reproducing because of irresponsible owners.

help, what can I do? any rescues near me?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
07-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #2

Re: Help, another cat, another pregnancy, advice needed

Sorry to read this Louise, I may know of some one that might be able to help in your area or some other places you can post this for some help and advice.
I am a bit busy right now but will pm you all the details later this evening if thats ok.

Catsey Junior

07-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #3

that would be great, thank you

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
07-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #4

Good luck, Louise, well done Elaine. Don't you get really angry at irresponsible owners like that? Grrr!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Maine Coons
07-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #5

Hope all goes well with the kitties, it is maddening to think that some people can be so uncaring

Catsey Junior

08-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #6

OK, I have offered to take both cats, however one stil remains. He has contacted CP but they will not issue vouchers. I have contacted them myself, as well as every local cat rescue, in my local area. I will follow up with phone calls on monday. Cats are coming to me on Monday evening

Im the mean time, what can I do to prepare myself. the pregnant cat has done this all before, I bet she will be better at it than I am, but is there anything Specific I can provide?

The original cat is NOT pregnant wheuwee.

Both are being booked into the vets on Monday for as soon as possible, for check ups and pre neutering check up of Evie.

Banned

Cats owned: N/A
08-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #7

Hi Louise,

Really, the wee cat will do all the work herself. Just make sure she has a private quiet space to have her kittens in. Though usually the cat picks itself where it wants to have her babies. Just watch out for the cat struggling to deliver her kittens, and that she has delivered all of them. Sometimes the cat gets exhausted, and cannot deliver the final kitten/s. How can you tell this...???? Well if mother is licking, feeding and generally contented you know she has passed all the kittens. If she seems withdrawn, and not really paying attention to kittens there could be a problem. You will have to make sure all kittens are breathing, as you may have to stimulate their breathing if not by giving them a wee rub. Though, it is advised you do not handle the kittens in the first week or so, to allow the mother to bond with her babies without other strange scents over the babies. Unless there are problems of cousre, and you need to. Oh, and make sure ALL kittens are getting fed by mum, and that mums milk is flowing properly in all teets. Just watch and you can tell...
Good luck, hoping all goes well for you!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
08-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #8

Bless you for taking on both these little ones, sure she will be fine having her kittens, at least she is safe and being look after....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
08-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #9

I echo that, wish more people were as caring as you......

Catsey Junior

08-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #10

Would under the stairs and behind the couch do? The Freezer is under there, but it is the only quiet place I can think of. Also have a few wardrobes I could set up,a sI have heard mummy cats like them too!

We have no kids so during the day it is very quiet any way. Although I have a friend who will check on her during the day whist I am at work. I was thinking of setting up banana boxes with towels, or fleeces in there, would newspaper be better. WOuld that be ok?

neghbouring RSPCA have said they may be able to help and to phone on Monday, which has calmed me a bit.