Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
06-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #31

Re: How do you tell someone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks Elaine.

Dawn - can I say that even our Elaine "learned" by going to that talk. We are not all born with the knowledge, so learning IS involved in one way or another.

I agree of course that neutering is the responsible thing to do in the cat's interests. I did not have cats until the mid 80's and had Merlin done when he was old enough. Smudge adopted me and was already preggers, but I had her done as soon as possible after she'd had her kits. So I know that the message has been around for a good long while.

Angie, it was NOT a talk, the guy went berserk at me and I was 16 years old not 26 or 36. If he had of just "talked" I wouldnt have listened. After all I never listened through school and man was there alot of "talking" going on.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
06-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #32

Sorry I misunderstood Elaine.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
06-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #33

I don't remember when I learned about neutering being the responsible thing to do; I suspect it was when I was little as our cat was neutered....this was back in the 30's mind you.! I just knew when I got my first cat that he had to be neutered. And was, as were all subsequent cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
06-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #34

Being perfectly honest, I knew about neutering and spay, and always had my boys done, but did not realise the extent of the problem with homeless cats & kttens till I joined Catsey and started to foster!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Thanks Elaine.

Dawn - can I say that even our Elaine "learned" by going to that talk. We are not all born with the knowledge, so learning IS involved in one way or another.

I agree of course that neutering is the responsible thing to do in the cat's interests. I did not have cats until the mid 80's and had Merlin done when he was old enough. Smudge adopted me and was already preggers, but I had her done as soon as possible after she'd had her kits. So I know that the message has been around for a good long while.
Well in my case it was common knowledge. All our cats were neutered, I cant remember ever not having them done when they were old enough. I do remember my mom telling me and my sister that a Tom cat stinks if you dont have him neutered!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdoll.
07-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #36

I got my first cat from the cats protection when I was 6 and he was already neutered. Neutering was always a responsable thing to do when you have a pet thats how I was brought up and my kids who are 8,6 and 3 are being brought up to love, respect and understand animals.

I rescued a rabbit about 3 months ago first thing i did was vaccs and had her neutered (wasnt cheap) she is my only rabbit and I know rabbits shouldnt be on there own but I had to take her because I don't know what the previous owner was going to do to her

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 B+W Moggies
07-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #37

As an aside, I couldn't believe how much my girlie rabbits cost to have spayed. £90+ (Sophie bite her stitched out, so that was another £30).

So long as your rabbit has company of you and your kids she should be fine. How about litter training her and having her as a house rabbit. I know quite a few who have rabbits and cats living harmoniously (Its one thing I looked into before getting a cat!)

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ragdoll.
07-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #38

The rabbit (jessica) and fluffy get on well they both play in the garden but I don't think I could have the rabbit inside I know people do but I just don't think it would work for me

Jessica had stapples I couldn't belive it but the vet said that it would be better than stitches because they pull them out, she still managed to pull 2 out but the vet put some more in and didnt charge me he said it was all included in the £90 and not to worry.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
07-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by laragreg
The rabbit (jessica) and fluffy get on well they both play in the garden but I don't think I could have the rabbit inside I know people do but I just don't think it would work for me

Jessica had stapples I couldn't belive it but the vet said that it would be better than stitches because they pull them out, she still managed to pull 2 out but the vet put some more in and didnt charge me he said it was all included in the £90 and not to worry.
That was kind of him