Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
02-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #11

Re: Toying with the idea

Theyre lovely dogs, used to know someone with them, he showed his. They are a high energy breed.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #12

Do you know of any - have you meet any Elaine? and how far in the future are we thinking???
I assume a dog rather than a bitch but not sure. That's the terrier owner in me talking.

Catsey Veteran

03-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #13

Have you read the breed Characteristics??? Only jesting they sound brilliant Elaine.
I cannot quite figure out what sort of size are they? Labrador? bigger smaller?
The Large Munsterlander is a dual purpose HPR Gundog. They have always been bred to work and their hunting instincts are very much at the surface. A magnificent dog out in the field which is equally at home curled up on the couch, even if they a plastered in mud. A sociable dog which loves human company, they are not a breed you have and then go out to work all day, every day.
Highly intelligent, rather exuberant and very loving, they will greet you with great enthusiasm every time you leave them. They are energetic and a quick walk up the road will not satisfy their needs, they need free running exercise on a daily basis, their intelligence makes them a great all round dog, there isn’t an activity they cannot do and they will do whatever you ask of them very well, from Field trial dogs to Pets as Therapy dogs, so long as it’s doing something with you they are happy. Not for the faint hearted as whatever you ask of them they give 100% of themselves.
They love all members of the family, but they will always bond that little bit more with one member of the family; they worship their owner with all their might!
A strong breed, they were bred in Germany to track a deer, and then bring it to the owner over whatever obstacles they may encounter, in the UK they are widely used as working Gundogs and excel in rough cover.
One last thing, Large Munsterlanders love Mud, water and you! Don’t expect to come home clean after a ramble with a Large Munsterlander!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
03-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #14

From that description, there is huge potential ..... from agility to search and rescue. With Elaine's high activity with other dogs, I don't think the exercise would be an issue. The mud might ................... ???

Catsey Veteran

03-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #15

To me they actually sound like a canine version of Elaine LOL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
03-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #16

Hahahahaha

I know one, only met it a few times but he's quite canny really.
I'd go for a dog not a bitch, yes Kazz I get the terrier owner comment lol.
They are taller than a lab', more sort of setter or retreiver sized.
I dont care about being covered in mud, rayne likes smelly bogs and the smellier the better lol.
Time wise, probably not this side of summer, possibly even early next year. Need G to get back on his feet properly first.
I think it would help Rayne with her separation issues, then again I may well end up with 2 who have separation issues....
Alot to consider before I jump in but jump in I will at some point.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
03-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #17

If it's what you want then go for it!! Lovely dogs, high energy breed though I think, but perhaps they would suit your lifestyle. There is a breed for all of us; me, I prefer the lazy, docile greyhound - not sure what that says about me though!! lol

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #18

Is there such a thing as a small Munsterlander???

Catsey Veteran

04-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Is there such a thing as a small Munsterlander???
Now that's a darn good question. I have to say though havig read the breed description/character a bit they look to be although a little high eactivity a very nice all round stable dog. I think one would mix in with your life well Elaine

An how about the name Sunny/Sonny which would fit well with Rayne.

I have to say I meet a Boxer pup this morning outside Sainsburys and he was lovely.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #20

Yes there are small munsterlanders too. Each developed from different breeding stock but both from the same area of Germany, hence Munster.