Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
21-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #21

Re: Frustrated + despairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
What a fantastic age and what a terrible loss after all that time, it must have been very hard for you when he took something like renal failure after living to that great age
Every one has to go with something immortality is not an option. And he had no discomfort that I know of. And I had him PTS maybe a day to soon but hey my choice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #22

Just catching up with this Velvet, sorry. I dont have much experience with dogs in renal failure but do with cats.
My take is that EVERYTHING is relevant, if your dog is nausious, then that must be addressed, be it zantac or slippery elm. Find what ever works to help with the sicky feeling and excess tummy acid. With my old fella Winston, I found a supplement of B vits and trace iron helped alot. It's much better that the animal eats something than nothing. Have you tried blending the tripe and renal foods in a food mixer? Just a thought. Also just a thought, cooked sweet potatoe, its supposed to a good food for IBS, Colitis and such.
I agree with Kazz about trying everything that tempts.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
23-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #23

Well folks an update.

When i went to get the renal cans yesterday the vet came out to reception & asked how Katie was - theyre quite handson. I mentioned i was considering cooking for her & it was a big no/no, too difficult & i could make things a lot worse. Vet was aghast at tripe as its "all" protein

They advised cutting a garlic clove up & mixing it through her food - that rather horrified me never mind Katie. I like garlic, use it a lot in cooking but know Katie wouldnt & definitely not raw. They also suggested vegetable gravy & warming the food in the microwave. Ive tried latter plus adding warm water to it

So thus again i was in a quandry. I had did a lot of research the day before & had a shopping list length of your arm.*

Trying to be rational i considered how i had been feeding her previous few days - she was eating & hadnt been sick - i was getting conflicting reports about tripe - could or should i try a mix & see how it went

I have to be honest here, the one thing i forgot to get in H&B was s.elm (duh - senior moment) but will be at the shop centre next week anyway so can get it then. In my self defence theres been a lot going on this week

During my research was advised to give her omega 3 & 6 - bottle i got also has 9, advisor in H&B said it wouldnt make any difference. Vit B & E*

At the moment her meal is half canned K/D with small handful of the crushed K/D, small amount of tripe, small amount of diced potato, 2 teasp of full fat yogurt - (has anyone tried recently to get full fat yogurt? Its nearly impossible, all low or no fat!) all well mixed & she clears her dish. She does have dairy allergies but im hoping 2 teasp a day of the yog wont annoy. At least shes eating & getting some K/D in her. I'll have to keep a very close eye on her - do that anyway. Will have to get a urine sample checked next week as well now her antibiotics are finished. Early tentative days.

Apparently, according to the vets, cats cope better with renal disease than dogs. Hard on both i'd say.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: British Short Hair
23-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #24

Sheesht sounds like a right pain Velvet... So sorry to hear that vet not keen on you doing it yourself. Your poor wee girlie needs to eat something!!!

Good that you've got a mix that she will eat, and here's hoping that the dairy won't set off her allergies.

*hugs*

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #25

I'm inclined to go with the "eating is better than not eating" school of thought; despite what your vet said. She's your dog and you know her well; if she seems OK and happy on what you're fixing for her, I say go with it ..... (((hugs)))

Catsey Veteran

23-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #26

It's very difficult, a cats metabolism is so completely different from that of a dog, so your vet may be right that cats deal better with the condition. But how that is judged I dont know... I have know cats to go down hill very fast with CRF and others that go on for several years or more.

If your vet insists that she eat the renal food then surely they must also address the issues of nausea etc. Like I said it's all relevant. Treat the excess tummy acid build up and stop her feeling sick and she may well eat the prescribed food a little better.
I always think its better for animals to eat than not eat, your vet can help with other meds such as ipakitine which I think Farthing mentioned.
Just a thought but have you looked at some of the applaws foods for dogs? I know some of the cat ones are low in proteins and phos.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-04-2011, 12:05 AM   #27

Today was not a good one, she has been quite sick. Think i moved too fast too soon with the yogurt and Omega oils. Sometimes she keeps the antacid meds down, sometimes not, today is a "not" day

A couple of months ago the vet spoke of a drug to assist kidney function and I am almost 95% sure he said Fortekor however once her medical records came through from the original vets, he has not mentioned the drug since. I just had a quick surf and as a drug it can be used to treat both heart and kidney disease in the dog

I think maybe we should go back and see him - the ipakitine looks interesting + like yourselves I am not quite sure why they are hesitating regarding support for her

I will certainly have a look at the Applaws foodstuff, anything is worth a try.

Appreciate your help and input and also havihng someone to discuss this with. Heres hoping tomorrow is a better day.

Catsey Veteran

24-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #28

Found this on the feline crf site, I hope it may be of some help to you and Kate.
http://www.felinecrf.org/links_and_r..._renal_failure

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
24-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #29

Hope today is a better one for Katie and for you too Velvet.

That's a really good thing about this forum - support, and the opportunity to talk. I have found that makes all the difference.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
24-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #30

The forum helps because you can write what you think then read it back and sometimes people see something different in what you have written and take you in another direction.

Hope the days to come are better days.