Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
20-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #11

Re: Frustrated + despairing

Debated as to if to say this or not but here goes.

My old cat Oscar had Chronic Renal Faliure. CRF for short. And was prescribed the "special food" but he would not eat it. His sister who was fine ate it.....however Oscar would not I decided not to feed him that and anything he ate was a bonus (obviously not dried food) but he ate an assortment ie wet food (various types) as he kept going off them, fresh meat always roasted/grilled and fed warm, chicken, lamb, turkey, duck, tinned salmon and pilchards/mackrel, lots of variety including offal liver kidney etc etc, he also had cod, plaice and other fresh fish in other words anything at all that tempted him and he ate was fine by me.
I decided, that was my choice.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
20-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #12

sorry to here katies not eating too well. when mondo was ill i was just giving him whatever he would eat, out of an offering of 6 he would maybe pick at one. hopefully she will find something she likes and get some weight back on

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
20-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
Debated as to if to say this or not but here goes.

My old cat Oscar had Chronic Renal Faliure. CRF for short. And was prescribed the "special food" but he would not eat it. His sister who was fine ate it.....however Oscar would not I decided not to feed him that and anything he ate was a bonus (obviously not dried food) but he ate an assortment ie wet food (various types) as he kept going off them, fresh meat always roasted/grilled and fed warm, chicken, lamb, turkey, duck, tinned salmon and pilchards/mackrel, lots of variety including offal liver kidney etc etc, he also had cod, plaice and other fresh fish in other words anything at all that tempted him and he ate was fine by me.
I decided, that was my choice.
I can understand exactly what you did and why - I am much in the same vein of thought. What age was your boy?

I have thought long and hard and agonised over this. It is as you say, they eat a food for a bit and then go off it. Ive been doing a fair bit of research today into food both for renal animals and human. Im still not confident at all with all the vitamins + nutrients that renal dogs need but I am going to have a go at cooking for her, although it will be part raw with the tripe

This evening she got quarter tin of K/D, diced cooked potato, cooked chicken with the skin on + some raw tripe and she cleared her dish. Im not sure about the potato [carbs] but at the end of the day its better she eats than not. Ive boiled a batch of eggs - they can have the white but not the yolk as apparently it is high in phorporous - never knew that I read somewhere they can have crushed egg shells for the calcium but I want to check into that a bit more.

At the end of the day its not the vets that are trying to feed them. In the beginning the vet was very surprised to hear that Katie was eating the K/D kibble at all so I presume it is common that dogs refuse it

Ive decided all I can do is try cooking for her - there is no cure sadly, all any of us can do is attempt to manage their condition as best we can for as long as we can.

Catsey Veteran

20-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
I would trust slippery elm - it can be used for ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease in humans. I found this link. Perhaps ask your vet for his/her advice about using it?
Thank you for the link Angie, After reading it began to think it might help my IBS! I am going to the shopping centre tomorrow so will call into Holland + Barratt + see what they have as they have a store in the centre

Catsey Veteran

20-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
I can understand exactly what you did and why - I am much in the same vein of thought. What age was your boy?

I have thought long and hard and agonised over this. It is as you say, they eat a food for a bit and then go off it. Ive been doing a fair bit of research today into food both for renal animals and human. Im still not confident at all with all the vitamins + nutrients that renal dogs need but I am going to have a go at cooking for her, although it will be part raw with the tripe

This evening she got quarter tin of K/D, diced cooked potato, cooked chicken with the skin on + some raw tripe and she cleared her dish. Im not sure about the potato [carbs] but at the end of the day its better she eats than not. Ive boiled a batch of eggs - they can have the white but not the yolk as apparently it is high in phorporous - never knew that I read somewhere they can have crushed egg shells for the calcium but I want to check into that a bit more.

At the end of the day its not the vets that are trying to feed them. In the beginning the vet was very surprised to hear that Katie was eating the K/D kibble at all so I presume it is common that dogs refuse it

Ive decided all I can do is try cooking for her - there is no cure sadly, all any of us can do is attempt to manage their condition as best we can for as long as we can.
Will she eat the kibble if you put gravy of some sort on it?

Catsey Veteran

20-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #16

Opps sorry meant to say Oz was 23 when he was PTS, its been almost 6 years now no idea where time has gone. Here are a couple of links....http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...en al+failure

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...ighlight=oscar

Catsey Veteran

21-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Will she eat the kibble if you put gravy of some sort on it?
No, its a decided no. I even put some into a plastic bag and crushed it up with a rolling pin to try and "fool" her by mixing it through the canned food - shes too clever for that

Catsey Veteran

21-04-2011, 02:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Opps sorry meant to say Oz was 23 when he was PTS, its been almost 6 years now no idea where time has gone. Here are a couple of links....http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...en al+failure

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...ighlight=oscar
What a fantastic age and what a terrible loss after all that time, it must have been very hard for you when he took something like renal failure after living to that great age

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
21-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet
Thank you for the link Angie, After reading it began to think it might help my IBS! I am going to the shopping centre tomorrow so will call into Holland + Barratt + see what they have as they have a store in the centre
Try to find an organic Slippery Elm that doesn't have any "packers". I used the Bio-Health for Merlin ..... you might have to do some sums to get the dosage right for Katie. I do hope it helps you too!

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-..._capsules.html

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
21-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #20

Ask your vet about renazin, it is a pump action spray you can put on normal food to help remove/ neutralise the phosphates ( I think that is what is special about renal food). You could also try ipakitine, I think it works for dogs to, same idea as renalzin but a powder- some animals do better with one or the other. I used to give Spice hilife pate blended with ipakitine and cat milk ( she was a renal cat). It at least helps with the diet not being a renal one.
I agree though, much better she is eating than not!