Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #11

Re: Dogs for Life Essential Training Event - part one

http://www.dogsforlife.co.uk/welcome.asp

There are events in England, Wales and Scotland. I think people would benefit from the experience. Philippa is lovely, funny, knowledgable, friendly and very very easy to understand. She makes the experience fun as well as intense and informative. She doesnt pass judgement and says things how she sees it. It is expensive but I do think I have spent my money well, apart from a few small niggles over the hotel bill

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
04-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #12

definately sounds like a productive weekend, even if it had its moments! i think my mums dog would benefit from something like that, shame about the price!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #13

It definitely sounds like a very interesting weekend, and mostly positive in the end up Glad to hear that you feel you got a lot out of it and that it's already helping with Rayne.

I do agree with Kazz though about the leaving the dogs in the room thing.

Catsey Veteran

04-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #14

With hindsight, I am now delighted that Rayne kicked off the way she did, otherwise I would still be getting frustrated with her over it rather than now knowing how to try to contain and manage it.

As for the dogs in the rooms thing.... People who have gun dogs and go to these kinds of events regularly, their dogs are used to being left in cars/vans for long periods of time. I guess its probably the same for show dogs and agility dogs too but our dogs arent used to that and so it was a big deal to them. The reality is though that no harm came to them and we did check on them regularly and allow them out for short spells to stretch their legs etc.

Finances permitting, I would like to do it again but I think next time I/we would probably ask for the lodge again and make our own meals, maybe join the others for a few drinks and a chat rather than sitting for hours on end with dogs locked up in van. Dinners did take an awful long time, we were asked to meet for a drink at 6.30 and dinner was to be from 7ish. The reality was that we would arrive for drinks at 6.30 and dinner was never ordered until 8ish and never finnished until 10/10.30. It's a long time for the dogs to be cooped up, well for our dogs anyway.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
04-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #15

Sounds good Elaine, when you read the blurb it does say this is your dogs holiday and you happen to join it, it does seem silly that the dogs were expected to stay in the vehicles fo their accomodation. Maybe our dogs are too spoiled
Do you think Rayne was after attention when she kepy yipping, i know you said you thought she assosiated the area with maybe running but it brought to mind something that happened during training on sat.
Coco, a Patterdale kepy barking, growling at her owner who quickly tried to stop her (just as i would have done, because you worry it disturbs the class ) The trainer said she was attention seeking and told the owner to turn away.
It took sometime before Coco was quiet but it did eventualy work.
Thanks for sharing your weekend with us, we missed you on the boat/van , in fact if you had the van what were we floating on

Catsey Veteran

04-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #16

You guys still have the van-boat , my sister took her van.
The dogs were allowed in the rooms and the lodge, they were just not allowed to be left there unattended.
Raynes whining and screaming is a result of a multitude of things, the trick is to try to whittle it down to what the cause is on that occasion. Sometimes its simply a temper tantrum, other times it's excitement, frustration and even her IBD. A little of it may even be inherited.

Catsey Veteran

04-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #17

Phew i'm glad you left the boat/van.
Ah i see about the rooms, when we stayed in a caravan last year we weren't allowed to leave Malaika unattended in the caravan.

Global Moderator

04-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #18

Sounds like you had a very interesting weekend Elaine

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #19

Ahh I see they could come in but not unattended that makes more sense next time I will read carefuly......although Sal would not tolerate being left in anything without me.

Glad you enjoyed it Elaine sometimes hindsight is a good thing, sounds like you did well.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #20

I'm glad you got so much out of it Elaine. Sounds as if you have loads of food for thought and practice with Rayne. Thanks for sharing the clicker training - made it sound easy to understand, just hope my reflexes are up to the instantaneous bit!