Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
24-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #1

Teddie update

Thought I'd let you know how things are going with little miss! As you know she has been on the fish for the last 2 weeks which has done wonders for her. However, she has still been so hungry after eating it that she was wandering around trying to 'hoover' up any crumbs that anyone dropped and trying to steal food off of plates that I thought I had better try some proper food with her to fill her up a bit more. I had intended to leave it the month but Teddie dictated otherwise So, I got some of the HiLife cherish (min 50% fish) and have given her a small amount of that mixed in with her fish over the last 2 days, and NO RUNS!!!!!!!!! She absolutely adores it, and actually growls at me if I go near her when she's eating. She's never done that before. I have therefore come to the conclusion that my vet talks a load of twaddle, and that she has an intolerance to dry food. Once she is fully on the HiLife, I will keep her on that for at least 6 months before I try to introduce a little dry into her diet (as it is good for her teeth etc), but so far things are looking great.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
24-12-2006, 02:08 PM   #2

Re: Teddie update

That's great news Alex ........ keep the HiLife to a small amount so that her tummy gets used to that much before you increase it again. Hopefully you are going to beat this !

BTW, I'd just like to add how much I admire your patience with Teddie's problem over the weeks .......... well done!

Catsey Veteran

24-12-2006, 02:13 PM   #3

Thank you Mags. She's my baby, I'll do whatever it takes. She is only having a tiny amount of the HiLife added to her food for the whole week, and then increased slightly for the following week and so on. It'll probably take around the month mark to get her onto it completely, but it will be SO worth it not to upset her tummy anymore.

What stops and makes me think, is that 2 months ago my vet was talking about her being pts because of the whole problem, yet still says it couldn't be that she was intolerant to all the dry food he had me try her on. Scary thought her not being here because of a food allergy!!!!!!!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
24-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #4

Time to change your vet Alex. If his advice is SO wide of the mark he either doesn't care enough or know enough to investigate it further.

Yes - hats off to you and your dedication to Teddie. I would have done it myself, but I know would have been under pressure from hubby to rehome if we had been faced with such a problem.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Raggie and BSH
24-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #5

Well done! Bet you feel so much better. Yip If I were you I'd be Vet hunting.
It took me three Vet's practices until I found one that I trusted 100%.

Catsey Veteran

24-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #6

Oh, I'll definitely be changing vets! NO fear on that score. My Oh and I were discussing it recently and feel that the vet just looked at us as an easy mark (animal lovers written across the forehead), and wasn't really interested in getting to the bottom of it. I'll be registering her with the PDSA in january, so it's just a matter of finding a good practice around here that will accept her on the scheme. Thank you all for the support you have given us over the last few months, it has been so appreciated, believe me!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
24-12-2006, 05:56 PM   #7

Glad Teddie is now getting better . Plain fish does wonders doesnt it?? I have some in my freezer for emergency sick kitties. Tis a good idea to add a tiny bit of cat food at a time.

Although convenient, dry food does have its downfalls - Teddie's intolerance, Chloe's cystitus.....

But good for their teeth!!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #8

I am pleased to hear Teddies update, glad there has been no more runs and fingers crossed Teddies tummy troubles will improve maybe with age etc. Eva was pretty sensitive in the tummy dept when she was younger, nothing to what you have experienced but we still have to be carefull with her when it comes to changing foods etc.
Your patience is to be commended, no one ever doubted your commitment but it must have been very frustrating and upsetting at times. You have the patience of a saint.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
24-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #9

You'r thinking I'm full
after clearing my dish,
but I'm licking my lips
after eating your fish.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
24-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
But good for their teeth!!!!
The article in this month's Cat World mag r.e. raw feeding (I posted a thread about this and a link to the article the other day) Is saying that the current thinking is that dry food does absolutely nothing to help a cat's teeth - interesting reading!