Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
08-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #1

"Not just a funny turn"

http://www.stroke.org.uk/tia

Info from the Stroke Association re. TIAs or mini strokes.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #2

Re: "Not just a funny turn"

Well worth reading the little booklet "Not just a funny turn" - I was surprised though that nowhere did it mention headache, I think Karen said she had a headache and I would expect someone suffering a TIA would have one, but I may be completely wrong. Thanks PP!

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
08-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPuss
http://www.stroke.org.uk/tia

Info from the Stroke Association re. TIAs or mini strokes.

Thank you Nette for posting this important link...

Both my parents suffered with TIAs, neither complained to having a headache at the time ..... my father used to 'go blank' for a few minutes and stare into space, then come to as if nothing had happened. My mother was affected in a different way by slurring her words for a few moments.

Take care Kazz, my very best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
08-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #4

Sorry to hear about your parents, Mags. That makes is scarier in a way that there hasn't been a headache to go by.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
08-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #5

It would appear that Kazz had a stroke, as her symptoms have remained over 24 hours, although there are degrees of stroke and TIA so it's a fine line to define which is which. I can only stress that any 'funny turn' symptoms should be reported to a health line/GP ASAP. My dad had such an experience about 8 years ago, came home from the pub and felt giddy, nauseous (he wasn't drunk but had been drinking his usual) he couldn't remember things and was repeating his children's names. We called 999 and he was taken in, he came around and felt better within hours, he was told he'd 'probably had a TIA' but no further tests were done. He'd had an ECG and Chest X-ray on admission, his BP was normal. He remained fine and has never had another.

Ceri was found by me, collapsed and slurring, no weakness of limbs just tremor, no facial palsy, he was not making sense, disorientated and pale. A stroke wasn't diagnosed for 4 DAYS! Only seen on MRI, as CT scan didn't pick up a bleed. His kind of stroke was ischaemic, a clot had formed in the deep brain and slowly killed off brain tissue.

So you can see stroke presents in many forms, headaches may be indicative, maybe not; visual disturbance can be a sign but often comes after the damage is done not before. Ceri was fit, no high blood pressure, non smoker, a bit overweight but not obese; nobody could have predicted it.

Just take care out there folks and be alert for the sign sin your loved ones, you DO know best, you know what is NORMAL for them, ACT on your suspicions.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
08-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #6

Thank you so much Annette for posting that link. Both OH and I are getting to the age where this type of incident is becoming a distinct reality so the words in the article rang loud and clear.