Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
27-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #1

Future vets

My neice has just started at vet school. Out of a cohort of 214 there are only 20 boys!
Nowt wrong with female vets, they are good and empathetic etc but I wonder how the farmers will cope?...............sometimes it's good to have a bit of brawn, and with the best will in the world, females just do not have the same strength as males.
I was amazed at the imbalance. I asked Lucy if she knew why and the consensus of the christmas gathering was that boys with 3 grade A 'A levels' are looking for a job where they can wear a suit and earn lots of money!...or if they have a scientific bent they want to be a human surgeon not a veterinary surgeon!
Am I the last one to catch up on this change or are you suprised too?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
27-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #2

Re: Future vets

I find that quite strange really Out of four horse vets in the practice we use for Bootsy only one is female

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-12-2005, 09:11 PM   #3

DM - I never thought the balance would be so, well, imbalanced!!! I'm very surprised to hear that - I thought maybe 2:1 proportions . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
27-12-2005, 10:24 PM   #4

We have 3 lady vets at the practise I use.....in fact there are no men at all, all the nurses are girls as well...

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Tortie Chloe & Black Misty
27-12-2005, 10:27 PM   #5

My vet is a man that i am sure is over 100 years old. Has been in this area forever apparently. I have only been here three years. But it is a very old area (Victorian) so lots of old type shops !!