Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
18-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #1

A wee rant!

I hope you don't mind me adding this, but I've just posted it on the halfpenny page!

Ok, I don't often post judgemental or grumpy posts, although we often end up taking in animals because the truth is the owners are fed up, want to get another animal and want rid of the one they have to make space, or don't want to deal with the vet bills or old age of an animal. I don't comment because the deed is done and the animal is safe, at least the owners have found somewhere secure for them. I cannot keep quiet about this as I am truly disgusted by this act.
These 2 bunnies were found dumped, just before Christmas near Tom's Forest, near Kintore, just before Christmas. They were very lucky to be found and cared for by someone who then found out about us and asked if we could help.... Even giving a donation towards their care. They were babies and left at the side of the road in a cage. Can you imagine how scary that must have been for them, can you imagine their chances if they had been there overnight with no protection or shelter.
Even if they had been dumped without a cage, they stood practically no chance of survival!
I know it must be hard when you want to Rehome and animal and all the rescues are full, but dumping is not only illegal but morally wrong! Responsible rescues have to stop taking in more animals when they are full, to continue to do so means they put animals already in care at risk. If we cannot afford food, vet bills and housing, yet continue to take in animals we become part of the problem rather than the solution. We do not want to turn away animals but have to when we don't have the time to care for them.
I am appalled at what has happened to these wee guys and at least they are safe...... however we now need to fund vaccinations and neutering for them, as well as squeeze in and buy more housing. We have 26 rabbits here, these young guys are happy and healthy and should not be in a sanctuary. Please, please educate yourself before buying a pet, rescue an animal rather than buy from a pet shop, find out if you have allergies BEFORE getting an animal, be sure you are committed to caring for it, for the rest of its life, consider what will happen to the animal if you start a family.
I know circumstances change, things happen, but these bunnies were only about 3 months old!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
19-01-2015, 12:15 AM   #2

Re: A wee rant!

So glad these little ones are safe. All I can say is that I agree with all you've said farthing. It's a huge problem that's only going to get bigger.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
19-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #3

Absolutely agree Farthing. I did do a longer reply but it wouldn't post. Suffice to say thank God for people like you. Have had a lot to do with rescue animals, mostly cats and dogs but the callousness of people always gets me. Animal care should be taught as early as possible at school. Children need to know animals aren't toys and aren't disposable.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
24-01-2015, 06:43 AM   #4

I honestly believe the indifference & ignorance is getting worse, not better.
Thankyou so much for taking these babies in
Do you have a paypal account, could you PM me the address & i will donate a little for them x

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Colourpoint persian, and moggies
24-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #5

Well said Farthing.It is far to easy to get pets on the spur of the moment without thinking of the future. There are far too many irresponsible owners out there who view pets as disposable. Karma to you for saving these wee bunnies. I hope they find a loving, forever home.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
27-01-2015, 12:35 AM   #6

Aww, thank you Velvet.
The good news is that Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care in Glasgow are going to take them, and another bunny we took in for the social services because his owner cannot cope, but he is a young healthy lad.
We plan to have them all wormed, neutered and vaccinated before going so the rescue isn't out of pocket for helping us.

Our PayPal address is 'sponsorship@halfpenny-farm.co.uk'.

Things are getting ridiculous, we have taken in 7 chinchillas ( 4 different owners), chickens, another rabbit ( came with the social work bunny but had dental issues.
We've been asked to help more rabbits, a horse who will be pts by the end of the week, found a home for another horse, asked to help a dog today...... The list is endless and we arent even very well known. We've also taken in another dog as a foster for a week or 2 while her owner is in hospital, we fostered a cat for another rescue a month or so ago until it went to a new home, trying to find a home for 4 pigs.

It really is just never ending!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
27-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #7

Extremely soul-destroying. I'm sure as 'things' become more disposable, people are becoming desensitised to the needs of animals and also considering them as disposable. It's a shocking indictment of our society.

The thing is, the poor animals fare even worse in other countries; even more aware places such as Italy and Greece have tremendous problems with animal abandonment.

I don't know what the answer is. I wish I did though