Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
04-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #1

Clipping claws

I'm getting really fed up with Jason clawing at the new stair carpet, he's got stratching posts and a scratching mat but unlike his sister, he just won't use them. (should this be in "Behaviour"?)

Anyway, I'm thinking of clipping his claws, something I've never done with any cat, in the hope that blunted claws will stop him scatching the new carpet. Does anyone know if this is likely to work? I already have clippers because I do the dog's claws occasionally, but I could do with advice on the best way to set about it!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #2

Re: Clipping claws

Strangely I clipped arthurs and bronwyns this week, being mainly indoor cats their claws don't wear down very quickly. I also find with Arthur who will claw the carpet that he does it less after I have clipped his claws. Sometimes I do it when they are sleeping, brons are really easy to do as she does not wiggle much. Usually grab cat, clip claws making such not to cut the quick, job done. Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #3

Can't advise MrsH as I've only ever clipped one dew claw years ago! Good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
04-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #4

I always find that when they are sleepy it is easier. Breagh is so easy to do. Izzi is a nightmare and is a wrap in towel two person job.

I find it does stop them scratching for a wee while but they get sharp again quite quickly so it becomes a regular task.

Hope you have an easy one and not a towel job!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
04-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #5

My Cooper does this as well, and it drives me NUTS!!!

But as for clipping, I just grab them, stick them under my arm like a rugby ball , and clip fast. All of mine tolerate it very well, I think the trick is to be decisive and confident. They soon sense if you're nervous.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
04-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #6

Most of mine needed the towel! It's easiest if you start them as kittens; obviously too late for Jason. Do be careful to avoid the quick, I agree, best when they're sleepy and relaxed, do it quickly and confidently; even if he struggles even getting a few done is better than none; keep at it; do let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
04-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #7

I clip all of mines claws and they are all well behaved when i do it apart from Tiger who complains when u do it but I find it helps not only your cat but you incase u get the odd scratch.

Catsey Veteran

04-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice folks! He's just done it again and scarpered upstairs like a bullet as soon as OH opened the door to the hall. I'll be doing the deed tomorrow!

Catsey Veteran

05-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #9

Done it!

I approached while he was sleepy and had done one whole paw before he realised what was happening He did manage to scratch me just the once with his back legs and I've got one dew claw still to do but they're not such a nuisance on the carpet. I'll get him again in a day or so. I've also clipped over the carpet where he'd made the pile all fluffy with his scratching, you can still feel that it's different but it looks ok now from a distance!

I'm not doing the back paws at all, that's ok isn't it? I've never had to do a cat's claws before as all our cats before him have used scratching posts.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
05-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #10

Well done!!

I don't do the back claws either. Hopefully if you keep doing it while he's sleepy then he'll realise it's no big deal.

If you become really expert I'll send you Izzi to do for me lol