Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Persians
09-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #21

Re: Bathing Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando
The best way to bath cats; firstly never use anything other than a proper cat shampoo,mainly because they have a low level of soap in their makeup. Always dilute the shampoo,never put neat shampoo on the coat,ratio; 1 part shampoo/5 parts water. The best way to work is to have plastic boxes(stacking variety) filled with tepid water (3) first you immerse cat and thoroughly soak,having clipped cats nails before bathing,2nd box has diluted shampoo mixed into water,immerse cat in this,then go to 3rd box and immerse and rinse through,make sure you completely rinse out all shampoo. If necessary replace water in 1st box and rinse cat again. Make sure you have a good supply of large warm towels and wrap cat in one and rub dry. Then if your cat will tolerate it,use a hand dryer and pin brush to brush dry. Some cats really do enjoy this and then obviously there are those who hate it Good luck!!
Thanks for this post! really helpful and sounds like a really good way for a beginner like me to try!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
10-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #22

I've bathed the 2 boys from kittens for shows and have always used the shower attachment in the bath. I'm not sure they would like the dunking in the bowls method and could possibly freak them out. For a long haired cat you would also need a fair few boxes for rinsing so again much prefer the shower attachment to ensure all soap is removed.

I also use shampoo neat for the best effect but remember I rinse THOROUGHLY, there is no shampoo left in my cats' coats otherwise the coats will be flat and I want it to be floating for the shows.

I have no idea about short haired cats as I've never owned one never mind bathed them, perhaps the box method is one recommended for them?

Amber - Kay will talk you through how to bath Gemma and best products to use. Here is my boy Barney Rubble, he's 10 months old now

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=35117

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Persians
10-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyshandy
I've bathed the 2 boys from kittens for shows and have always used the shower attachment in the bath. I'm not sure they would like the dunking in the bowls method and could possibly freak them out. For a long haired cat you would also need a fair few boxes for rinsing so again much prefer the shower attachment to ensure all soap is removed.

I also use shampoo neat for the best effect but remember I rinse THOROUGHLY, there is no shampoo left in my cats' coats otherwise the coats will be flat and I want it to be floating for the shows.

I have no idea about short haired cats as I've never owned one never mind bathed them, perhaps the box method is one recommended for them?

Amber - Kay will talk you through how to bath Gemma and best products to use. Here is my boy Barney Rubble, he's 10 months old now

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=35117
Thanks Candice I had to bath Tigger the other week as he'd had a bad tunny and that was a fun experience!

I did it in the sink and used a baby shampoo and rinsed very well - at least 3 lots of clean bowls worth of water. I guess if you keep it up they get used to it and each time will improve. Do you do it on your own or have someone to help you? I live alone so I have to muddle through and accept all the scratches He's fairly good with the hairdryer though which is a relief!! I'm sure Gemma will be used to it when she comes to me in June! I'm trying to think of a lovely new name for at the moment so Kay can start getting her used to it now Barney Rubble is such a beautiful boy!! Very handsome and I hope I am as good as grooming as it really does make a difference as I can see from your pics!!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 3 persians
10-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #24

Thanks Amber you wouldn't say that if you could see his curly bib at the mo

I do it on my own and got Bam Bam my first show boy about 18 months ago. Until then I hadn't even bathed a cat lol!

Bam Bam is on my website:

I now do Foofoo my older colourpoint girl every 4 - 6 weeks because I have the confidence with the 2 boys.

Definitely try and do the shower attachment in the bath trick, it gives you more room

Kay on phone at the mo but said she'll call you in a bit