Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
06-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #1

Tail Flicking & Purring

I read somewhere that when a cat flicks its tail, it means he/she is irritated. But what could it mean if the cat is purring at the same time.

For example, when I crouch down to the ground, Cheddar almost always comes running and lays down underneath me, between my feet. He's purring away with his paws pressed up to my leg, kind of reminds me of what my dogs do sometimes. I pet him gently along his back, closer to his bum as I found it keeps him from getting over-excited. But then I notice the tip of his tail flick as his body is still lax and calm, purring loudly. How do I interpret this?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
06-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #2

Re: Tail Flicking & Purring

Mine flick their tail when they are up beside me getting pets and cuddles. I look at it that are settled and content.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
06-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #3

Mine flick their tails when they are purring and being stroked. They also flick their tails when they are cross. Big Fooze uses his to lure Huggins. Huggins thinks its great to pounce on swishy tails, which makes them swish all the more.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: not sure
06-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #4

Ok cool. Just wasn't sure how to interpret it.