Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
24-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #1

Intrducing new cat to resident cat

In the Animal Doctor column in the Post today there was an interesting letter by a woman who's used this method for 25 years to introduce the new cat to the resident cat. Unfortunately it won't let me copy the link, so the summary is: she immediately bathes old cat/new cat with the same shampoo! Said it has worked flawlessly for years, after the bath the old grumpy cat was grooming the kitten!
I can see the rationale: same smell = no threat. But a few "ifs" : what if old cat can't be/never has been bathed? And quite a shock to the kitten/new cat being plunged into a bath on its very first entry in to the new home...

Your thoughts?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #2

Re: Intrducing new cat to resident cat

I really would not like to do that to a new kitten, think if anything it would probably stress the poor thing....

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #3

My thought exactly! And if the resident cat was unaccustomed to being bathed, I don't think it would exactly sweeten it's disposition.......

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
25-01-2008, 12:49 AM   #4

I have never bathed a cat.....and have introduced many kittens into my household this past 4 years and never had a problem'''

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #5

I've never bathed one either, except for a disastrous experience as a teenager with my Mom and our big ginger tom who did not appreciate it....

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: some
25-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #6

I can see how it would work ie they would smell the same. But I wouldn't like to try it. I think it would be kinder to transfer the scent via a dry cloths and run the cloths on one cat then the other. I can bath my two but it doesn't go down that well.

anyway it is an interesting idea
Sally

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: mix
25-01-2008, 06:39 PM   #7

hm...I think that introducing your cat to a new one is a bit stressful and it is also stressful for the kitten so I wouldn't bath them - it would make them even more stressed...
But I guess that for some cats that method could work (van cats enjoy swimming).
I would only bath a new arrival if it was very dirty, had fleas (but than you would also have to use anti flea treatment) or something...
Anyway, that is just my opinion.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: DSH
25-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #8

Well I can see the rationale behind that, suppose it all depends on your resident cats and if your bathe etc...etc..

I dont bathe and think I would have more of a drama doing that when we acquired Tink

But if it works I'm all for it

Catsey Veteran

25-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #9

The mere thought of trying to bathe Leia , to use an old Victorian expression. gives me the vapors!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
25-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #10

I've had to bath all 3 of mine in the past (due to teddie and her 'problems' lol) and while they weren't over fond, it wasn't too hard to do.