Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: grey tabby
12-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #1

Sardines

We have a large male tabby who is a rescue cat so we don't know about his diet prior to 3yrs old. He is now seven and healthy. I feed him good dry food but he won't eat any of the wet foods. The ones I have seen mentioned on here are not available in Aus or not anywhere that I have seen them. He will eat a little fresh chicken or fish, but only sometimes. The other day I opened a tin of sardines in tom sauce and foolishly left them on the bench for a couple of minutes and came back to find the naughty boy tucking in as if he had never been fed. Also he ate and seemed to enjoy some cottage cheese that I had put down for the dogs. My question is...can he eat both of these things and if so how much and how often. My concern really was the tomato sauce but that was what he seemed to enjoy most and licked it off before he started on the fish.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

Re: Sardines

The sardines are fine as a treat now and again, I dont know about Aus but over here you can get sardines in spring water from one supermarket, which would be a bit better than in tomatoe sauce because of the salt content.
Most people tend to stay away from feeding cats dairy products because many cats are lactose intolerant, that said, I have had cats who quite liked a little milk now and again without any toilet issues after, but again I wouldnt give it to them too often.

12-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #3

Thank you for your prompt reply. Will not give him the cheese and he does only get water to drink. Going shopping tomorrow and will see if I can get the sardines in springwater.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
12-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #4

With the Sardines, wouldn't the bones be an issue?

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
12-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #5

The bones in the sardines are pretty soft, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a problem

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
12-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #6

As Pauline said, the bones are soft and I have been giving sardines as a treat for years with no issue.

13-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #7

I got the sardines in spring water this morning so remains to be seen if he liked the fish or the tomato sauce. Is there any restriction on how many times in a week he could have them.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #8

Sardine bones are hairlike & cooking makes their softer again. Our cats & dogs love sardines, tuna, pilchards etc very tasty treat.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
13-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

Never thought of giving Joy and Beau Sardines for a treat. How many would you give them for a single meal and would you cook them first?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPARK
Never thought of giving Joy and Beau Sardines for a treat. How many would you give them for a single meal and would you cook them first?
Easier to buy a tin of sardines . Theres only 2/3 in a tin so i would just either give as a treat or mix i to existing food. If in oil, i drain off excess oil, run hot water in tin, agotate & drain off then use as above. Same with tuna