Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Ginger/White, Black/White, Tabby
Rob B is Male
10-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #1

A Happy Ending

In the mid 70s I adopted a little stray long haired tortie cat, her colours were all smudged together so she was named Pickle (as in Branston). She was probably about a year old and settled in nicely where I was living in Chudleigh, Devon. After a year or so she went missing one night and despite our efforts, calling on neighbours, wandering the streets and posting notices, we never found her.

We had just about given up on her, when, about a month later as I was putting out the bins on a wild wet November night, I happened to notice in the streetlight on the other side of the road, a small bedraggled bundle of fur, it was Pickle. She was thin as a stick with terribly matted fur and was obviously suffering from cat flu judging by the condition of her eyes, nose and mouth. We tended her overnight, keeping her warm and getting a few fluids down her. The next day we took her to the vets who gave her the appropriate treatment, though he said that he thought that her condition was so poor that she wouldn't survive.

Over the weeks we gradually built her up with special diets to stimulate her appetite and she eventually fully recovered.

That cat was with us for the best part of the next twenty years and finally passed away quietly from pure old age aged about 21/22.

Perseverance pays off.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
10-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #2

Re: A Happy Ending

Cat lover of the year award goes to Rob - well done you!! Thank heaven you were putting the bins out ... that's all I can say!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
10-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

Re: A Happy Ending

So glad you found her again and she recovered to spend the rest of her life with you, warm and cared for. A heart-warming story.