Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 1 Tabby Moggy & 1 Grey Moggy
12-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #1

Daily thread - French navy blue

Its not quite black, not grey even but its dark all the same.

The wind has been howling all night and continues this morning. Mild though at 7 degrees.

Nothing much planned today. The girls and animals have worn me out this weekend. Need to sort a few things out and take a top back to next and maybe some ironing.

Off to the vets tonight for a puppy party for Bess. Not sure what to expect but as I never go to parties of any sort I guess I should make the most of this one

Stay safe peeps with this wind.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #2

Re: Daily thread - French navy blue

Lashing rain, howling wind and 11 degrees . . . bring back the cold and bright!! OH has a flat battery this morning so he's working from home and I'm in the office trying to get through the festive-period backlog

Yesterday Balie came downstairs (after pooing on Dominik's rug . . . he obviously felt bad about it). I let him out into the garden and since then he's been skulking in the basement - even when the boys have been down there Maybe he's overcoming his life-long fear of everything; he even let Domi feed him some ham

I'm still being bitten to peices by fleas. I've treated that cats and the whole house on several occasions over the last couple of months so I'm completely baffled (and itchy). Any ideas anyone? Am I missing something critical here??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
12-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #3

Are you sure they are your flea's? and not from the office...other than that you are missing something flea's havea life cycle that is adult female flea can lay as many as 30-40 eggs a day which fall off the animal and wait to hatch into larve so to speak...so one flea can be immediately responsible for 200 more....in a week scary eh?
Here is another scary bit Flea eggs hatch into worm-like larvae which move away from light and downwards. This means that they are usually found deep in the carpet pile. They tend to accumulate in areas where the pet rests, but have been observed to crawl as far as 20 feet while in this stage of the life cycle.
After 7-18 days, flea larvae pupate. Not the latest dance fad, but the process by which they spin a protective cocoon around themselves and develop into adults.

Inside the cocoon, fleas are almost impervious to insecticides. In fact, about the only thing that will get them during this stage of their life cycle is a blowtorch (which is perhaps a bit extreme for most people!).

It takes between 5-14 days for fleas to develop inside the cocoon, after which they are triggered to hatch in response to vibration (being stepped on), or the carbon dioxide exhaled by a passing host. But in the absence of a trigger, they can survive inside the cocoon for up to nine months.

So that could be where your problem is Yola

A flea can hatch from its cocoon, jump on a passing pet, and begin feeding in as little as 7 seconds.

Unfortunately, scientists believe there is no such thing as an effective flea repellent. It seems that fleas are not repelled by garlic, citronella or brewers yeast.

Adult fleas are permanent ectoparasites. In other words, once they have landed on a pet, they'll stay there until they're removed by grooming or die. That's logical. After all, if you're already sitting in the best restaurant in town, why move?

Adult fleas usually live for a matter of days on a cat or dog, unless swallowed by the pet, or killed by an insecticide. They account for only 5% of a typical flea infestation at any one time (the rest existing in the egg, larval and pupal life stages).

So Yola after that short lecture I would say consult your vet for best remedy you could do with something thet you put on the cats thats stops the flea's breeding or similar.

Not a bad day here been into work no home done 4 hours....having the yard dug up so took back some lieu time. Horrible day.....ukky.
Off to get some pots for the perennials....to plant up.

See you later Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
12-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #4

It's dark and wet here too. It comes as a bit of a shock after the long dry cold spell, doesn't it?
Have fun at your party Natalie!
Yola - are your 6-legged visitors immune/resistant to whatever you are tretting the cats with? Is it Frontline that the varmints are developing resistance to? Maybe try Stronghold? (vet only). Dab your own itchy places with lemon juice & water to relieve it.
Have a good day all - keep dry

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #5

Nasty grey day here, but only light wind and mizzly rain - sorry to hear about gales in other places. Weather news from US was horrendous - I do hope our American friends are all safe and sound.

OH has rigged me up in the hallway, so I'm still connected - wheeee! No Catsey withdrawal for me.

Sorry about the fleas, Yola - I seem to have conquered the problems I had in the summer - changing to Stronghold and using Acclaim spray seemed to help. But then I only have 1 shorthaired cat. Good luck getting rid of them - I do sympathise.

Have a good day everyone - keep safe and dry.

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #6

I use acclaim spray . . . cats are treated with Advantage. I will spray whole house again and this time inside chests of drawers and wardrobes too.

Karen, thank you very much for your detailed answer. I think the solution is frequent spraying. We've never really had a problem, just the odd bite here and there so not sure what's triggered this - possibly being at home over Christmas and the heating being on day and night during this time?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #7

Afternoon all. I am in agony today, waiting for the Doctor to come...Raining here, Mums foot is improving, but she still cannot walk....
Just hope I get home on Thursday ok.

Catsey Veteran

12-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #8

Oh Pat, I'm sorry you're in so much pain I hope the doctor can offer you some relief.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #9

So sorry Moli - hope you are out of pain very soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
12-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #10

Its all over the left side of my hip, which is swollen, keeps going inro spasms....Its more frustrating than anything else....