Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
30-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #1

increased appetite

Just thought iwould ask if anyone has had this. When we first got Harris in August last year, he was only 5 and a half month and had a really small appetite and that continued regardless of how much we fed him and he stayed quite slim looking.

When Harris had his cystitis in August, after he was treated with the metacam and antibiotics, his appetite has increased to teh extent that he is now pushing skye out of the way to get hers now when it used to always be the other way around. I rememeber posting about that!! He is also sleeping at night night now without howling and again that stopped afetr he was treated.

What i was wondering is if anyone else had experienced this? Im beginning to think that he maybe had an underlying issue when we got him and unfortunately we didnt know about it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #2

Re: increased appetite

It's really difficult to say Pamela ...... it could be that he had a problem and as he has grown the problem has resolved, or as you say the medication he had for his cystitis has "cured" some other problem.

Are you confident that he is a well cat now? Shame about him pushing Skye off her food, that could mean a different management/placing of her food so she doesn't lose out.

Catsey Veteran

30-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #3

He definately seems alot better angie, hes been soo different since the treatment both appetite and sleeping wise. We have started feeding skye just outside the livingroom door so that she can get peace to eat and it seems to be working.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #4

That's great Pamela. I don't suppose you'll ever really know the answer but it's wonderful that Harris seems so much better.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #5

I think I'd ask the vet about it; but it's good to hear how much better he is now.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

Glad to hear Harris is much perkier now pamela. This can make cats really quite miserable.

So is Harris on a wet food/anti struvite dry diet now to prevent any reoccuring attacks? Stress is also a huge trigger so you'll need to be extra vigilant that nothing upsets him. With the damage this can do to a cat's system catching it early and prevention is always far more preferable to any cure. Metacam has it's uses, and I've had it used on my cat for an op', but it's not the drug of choice I would like anywhere near my cat in a hurry..

Just keep an eye on Harris, and keep any changes and stress to minimum, and try not to worry as this will rub off on any sensitive little soul nearby..of which dear Harris is one, bless him.

Catsey Veteran

03-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #7

he is on a mainly wet diet, in the morning though, he gets a little bit of dry mixed in with the wet for a wee bit of variety. I definately think his stress levels are at a minimum now. He does seem so much more relaxed and chilled. Him and Skye are even getting on soo much better that they will sit alot closer together now and they arent fighting when we are in or last thing at night as soon as the lights go out like they used to do every night. Its soo much calmer in our house now that i even get to sleep through the full night now which is great!!

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Waifs and Strays
13-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #8

Outruling parasites, Is your cat neutered ? Has he maintained his slim look or is he gaining or losing weight ? When he gos to the toilet does he have loose stools ,does he urinate too frequently or suffer from excessive thirst ? Does he ever eat to the point he is sick ?
All these questions and more are important to deciding if your cat has a problem or if hes simply greedy .I would definatly ask your vet especially if you notice any other abnormal symptons x

Catsey Veteran

14-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

yeh hes neutered has been since he was 6months, filled out a wee bit which is what he needed, doesnt drink excessively or make himself sick. Hes not generally greedy but def has started eating more since he was treated for cystitis, definately believe the tablets helped him as he neve ate much even as a kitten until he was treated. He seems alot healthier for it now to be honest

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Waifs and Strays
15-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #10

Sounds like hes just got a healthy appetite maybe increase the amount he gets or spread it out into smaller meals Glad hes feeling better x