Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Fabulous moggies!
30-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

Is dry food reeeeally that diabolical for our cats?

Hi everyone, hope you're well?

I'm having a bit of a 'conversation' on another pet forum about feeding and I wanted to get your advice too. I posted over there to discover other people's views on which dry foods were nutritionally better than others and have now found out lots of information about this and have changed from RC to Fish 4 Cats or Applaws, which have a far higher meat content.

However, I have been told that a solely dry food is dreadful for the cats and that even a very poor quality wet diet would be far better for them than the highest quality dry diet. Someone even mentioned that they are 'shocked to hear that my cat has lasted to 18 years of age'.

This just doesn't seem to make sense to me. I used to feed the supermarket brand wet food, sometimes Felix/Whiskers, but all my cats had tummy upsets, gassy and bubbly tummies, foul smelling runny stools, etc (sorry TMI!) which surely is very unhealthy?

I would be most interested to hear your views on this. I have changed from RC to Applaws or Fish 4 Cats which are a higher meat content, and occasionally feed them a pouch of high meat content wet. But I'm being told that is not good enough.....

I really thought I was doing the absolute best for my cats and am sad to hear that I'm really not!

I would love to hear your views - please be honest!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
30-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Re: Is dry food reeeeally that diabolical for our cats?

I have recently been advised by the vet to cut out dry food for Harris as it has caused him to have a couple of toileting issues that need treatment. However, we are still occassionally givibg him dry food.

Catsey Senior

30-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm also aware of UTI problems arising from feeding a dry food only.

Aww I hope Harris gets well soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh called pip!
30-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

i feed a mixture of dry and wet and havent had any problems.

my mums cat is 13 and has been fed on supermarkets own wet and dry all her life.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
30-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Hi Sarah! I'm sure that you've gathered from your other forum that this is a very contentious issue!

My two are fed almost completely dry kibble. I make efforts now and then to get them to eat wet, sometimes with more success than others. When Kizzy first arrived (she came from CP) she had very bad digestive problems and so I tried her on RC Digestive Comfort, which she took to and her problem went away. Pip kitten arrived and refused to eat the lovely Nature's Menu or other good quality wet foods I offered him, but made a beeline for the Digestive Comfort. Fairly recently I have added ProPlan Adult kibble, so they have the choice of two different dry foods and they tend to switch from one to the other with no ill effects. Luckily both a good drinkers and of course I encourage them with a water fountain and tap water whenever asked for (Pip). I know it's not ideal and would want them to eat mainly wet. But having said all that it really is what they will eat that gets you in the end!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
30-08-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

My vet warned me off dry after my girl had a bout of cystitis, but she was mostly on wet anyhow. My longest living cats, 17, 19 1/2 and 20 were all mostly on wet with occasional dry as a treat.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
30-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

My boys eat mainly dry food, just getting wet once a day, but they do also drink a lot of water...

Catsey Senior

30-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #8

Thanks all for your replies, it's really interesting to hear what everyone feeds their lovely kitties.

Angie, hi! Oh YES what a debate - whilst I have learnt a LOT about wet food, dry food, what to look for in the ingredients, etc, I really wish I hadn't bought the subject up!!

I have decided now to feed a wet/dry combined diet and feel quite happy that I will get a good balance for my beautiful boys

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
30-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #9

Our two adults eat both. They get mix of Hills sensitive & Pro Plan kitten sensitive (finishing bag off) they also eat 3 sachets a day of Felix sensations each

Mindy the kitten wont touch dry food. She likes a mix of Natures Menu wet & Felix kitten wet. She slso eats the adult Felix

Everytime i go to vets i get a lecture about how they should be fed only dry. I just agree, its easier

Ours all drink too.

I think if the diet suits, keep to it. No one knows the pet better than the owner

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
31-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah5
Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm also aware of UTI problems arising from feeding a dry food only.

Aww I hope Harris gets well soon.
thanks, hes fine now, it was just before we went on holiday. I will however say that since he has been treated for cystitis his appetite has greatly improved from what it was before he wasnt well.