Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
11-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #1

Obesety and the Diva

The Diva joined kitty weight watchers this afternoon, she did curse alot I dont know where she has learnt such foul language. It certainly wasnt from me
Anyway she has lost a little more than I had thought. She weighed in at 6.54 kilos, must have been the furminator this morning
They gave me the choice of two diet foods. Hills, which I am not very keen on any way but the nurse said it was full of fibre and would make her poop more , I thought about it for a short time and said no to that one coz as you know, Eva likes to poop on the floor so we have gone with the Walthams obesety diet for now and she will be weighed again in two weeks.
The nurse said her ideal weight should be between 4 and 5 kilos Thats lighter than the vet said oringinally. They laughed at me when i said she was a very big boned girl. Will take it gradually and see how she goes. Is there some sort of weight guide for cats and specific breeds of cat as there is for dogs? How do they work out what the ideal weight is? I mean we all know that as humans, I may be the same height but my build would determine that I may be heavier/lighter than you. Get me?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #2

Re: Obesety and the Diva

I know what you mean about people Elaine. According to the people weight tables some professional athletes are technically classified as overweight, but really aren't, as muscle is heavier than fat.... don't know if there's a cat weight/breed chart but will Google after lunch and see what I can find. Poor Diva! She did not have a nice day.....

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
11-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #3

Elaine I posted this link earlier this month, it shows you a chart of the average weight for a small, medium or large cat. It starts with the Moggy then shows all the different breeds of cat. It may give you an idea of comparison for Eva.

http://www.petsgetslim.co.uk/site-me...at_weights.pdf

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: moggys
11-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #4

perhaps my stella should give this ago she looks like a pea head because her body is so big.i wish the diva the best of luck at loosing those extra few pounds

Catsey Veteran

11-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #5

Thanx Mags. I am going to aim for the 5.5 kilo mark and see how she gets on, how she looks and most importantly how she feels.
That said, she is actually much more active now, since she has lost a bit of weight. I worry about her bad temper and her swearing though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
11-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #6

wonder where she gets that bad language from Elaine,shes been listening to that ruby hasnt she

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
11-10-2007, 11:35 PM   #7

Poor Diva, being forced to undergo such torment

She will be so much better tho with a bit more weight off and I agree, go by what you feel is right.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
12-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #8

Oh don't even get me started on people weights. Apparently I need to loose 4-5 stone, I admit to being overweight but i'm a size 12-14! 4-5 stones???????? I'd be a double zero!

Anyway! Well done to the diva on her loss and hope she continues to do well. I think you will know when she's at a good weight, all these figures and things are just a guide and every cat is different. Even just between my mogs there is so much diversity in weight and all are a healthy weight so i'm told at check ups.

I think it is hard to tell when you don't know what is actually fat and what is muscle. Tucker is a huge lad for his age and weighs like a brick when you pick him up but he's very lean and muscular as he is always out and climbing trees and doing things if you know what I mean? Not fat at all.

Catsey Veteran

12-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #9

I was actually wondering today. Surprised you all huh?
No I wondered, if Eva has gradually been losing weight (slowly but steadily as it should be), why was it necessary to change her food to prescription diet food? Surely I have been doing ok by her if she is losing it gradually and on light food and hilife.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
12-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #10

Good question! Sounds as if your program is working well with her...slow and steady weight loss. Is it possible that the prescription diet might be more filling so she won't be perpetually hungry?