Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
17-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #1

Off to the vets

Well I am off to the vets about Cleo see you all soon.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #2

Re: Off to the vets

Kazz?????

What's a matter with Cleo?

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
17-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #3

I hope there is nothing serious the matter with Cleo Kazz?????

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #4

Sorry sorry glad I did not log off when I went the loo just I thought have I loggedoff came back and found I hadn't so I will explain thought I had already said but maybe not.

There is NOTHING wrong with Cleo. I am off to chat to the vet(s) today about Cleo as one of the junior/starter vets has a "case study" or "paper/disitation" or something not sure what actually to write/give on older/elderly cats.
And since I have Madam and have had two who reached over 20 I have been contacted to ask would Ispeak tot them.
I am poping down there today to see what they want to know I don't think its just a chat. As I must admit I am kinda interested in seeing what they want to know writing it down to explain to you I have just realised I don't know much about it. But it was only a quickphone call from the vet the other week.
But if it can help the vets the way they deal with older cats or animals then yes I will help. The words that really nark me are "she's had a good life" and my response is "sheis having a good life thank you" its not just the vets but you are more aware in the vets I think they are interested as to why I want no treatment for her CRF too. So I will attempt in my stupid way to explain.

WHta do you think? May come to nothing but hey its raining and I am on holiday.

Karen

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
17-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #5

Phew, you had me worried there for a minute

You seem like an ideal person to help with this research Kazz. I hope you find it interesting. Let us know how it goes..

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
17-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #6

Thats very interesting Kazz. You can give a whole different slant on the CRF stuff too with regards to treatment and no treatment and the fact that each and every cat is different and therefore they all respond differently.
I'd be very interested to hear how it all goes. Cleo, although being old and slowing down is very much still enjoying life.

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #7

No idea what it entails you watch all they will ask is "how old is she, indor/outdoor" then that will be it.

For some reason people seem to think she has been molicoddled when in fact neither of them were they were and always have been in out cats, going and doing what they want. Just cats, although I have been more "careful" of them since they hit sort of 20 - 21 but before that no more no less than anyone else.
Karen

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Thats very interesting Kazz. You can give a whole different slant on the CRF stuff too with regards to treatment and no treatment and the fact that each and every cat is different and therefore they all respond differently.
I'd be very interested to hear how it all goes. Cleo, although being old and slowing down is very much still enjoying life.
I think thats it to though Elaine. Vets seem reluctant to let you do nothing I suppose like Doctors and hospitals they see death as a faliure where as I sort of prescribe (although until now I did not realise it) to the Holistic option treat the whole issue the cat,the owner,the situation.

Karen

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
17-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz
I think thats it to though Elaine. Vets seem reluctant to let you do nothing I suppose like Doctors and hospitals they see death as a faliure where as I sort of prescribe (although until now I did not realise it) to the Holistic option treat the whole issue the cat,the owner,the situation.

Karen
Hi Kazz, hope it all goes well it is great if you can provide the practice with a little more info that they can use in the future to help older animals.

Although at our practice, we always strive to do everything we can for the individual animal, at the end of the day the final decision is left to the owner, and if that decision is different to our advice then that is fair enough. We continue to support them through every step. Unfortunately there are a few vets out there that will give the animal every form of treatment going just to make money, and these vets just make me want to scream! Yes they may know what they are talking about, but what they suggest may not necessarily suit the animal/owner team and they should never be pushy! We are very lucky with our vet she is a little superstar, and while she may not always agree with clients decisions, she does what they request and will not push with something that the owner does not want. The only thing she is very definate about is that she will not euthanise an animal that she believes has a very good quality of life ahead of them.

We have two cats that live at the practice with us and one of them was signed over to us because her owners did not want to pay for an operation despite having insurance and wanted her euthanised. Basically she ruptured a ligament in her leg and when they learned that it would need an operation they decided that they wanted her PTS. We spent ages trying to come up with a solution and finally we contacted the cat charity who we work with, and they agreed to take her and pay for the operation. She is now fully recovered and is perfectly happy and mobile with just one glucosamine tablet every day.

I really hope you mange to educate them more on the matter of older animals

Catsey Veteran

17-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #10

Thank you. I am off now see you all later. Not taking Cleo with me but I am taking the diary I wrote when Oscar was diagnosed and pre diagnosis - well notes not a diary really. Same as Cleo notes.
Karen