Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #21

Re: Is dry food reeeeally that diabolical for our cats?

There is something that you can put in cats' water dish to help with plaque - I think Moli mentioned the name, but I can't remember it just now!

I bought some cat toothpaste (!) and it is meant to help even if the cat just licks it off your finger. Good thing because I'm not sure trying to rub it around their mouths is a very good idea!!! (dogs are so much easier!)

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
12-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
There is something that you can put in cats' water dish to help with plaque - I think Moli mentioned the name, but I can't remember it just now!

I bought some cat toothpaste (!) and it is meant to help even if the cat just licks it off your finger. Good thing because I'm not sure trying to rub it around their mouths is a very good idea!!! (dogs are so much easier!)
It's called Dentagen ....... I've added it to Cassie's water since she had her dental two years ago. I also add PlaqueOff to her wet food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
12-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #23

Thanks Mags!

Maybe that's part of an answer - keep feeding wet (if you do and your cats love it) but pay attention to their teeth on a regular basis.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
18-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #24

The ideal diet for our cats would be for them to catch and eat organically sound mice and birds; However few (if any) of us live in a place that allows this (and the cats would then be more likely to be an organically sound meal for a bigger predator).
I think they key is to inform yourself of what is good food for cats in general and then adapt and adopt until you have a diet (and any ameliorating techniques) that you feel confident is good enough and that your cat is happy with. It doesn't have to be theoretically perfect, it just has to be good enough and you are the best person to decide this for your particular cat(s).

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
23-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #25

My 2 have been 80% dry Purina Plan Sensitive with renal support, and wet for several years (which includes raw meat). Organs and teeth all good for their age. I plan to get some Denatagen or Plaque off as preventative measure.
Dry I think is ok as long as your cat drinks plenty, that's the main thing.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
23-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #26

we have a small stomach problem with both our 9week old kittens at the momment. we put them both on wet food , but a very good wet food of 60% meat and after a few days their stool became very runny! so we had a word with the vet and they said that we might have put them on too rich a food too start with and to use a special digestive food for a little while ( think it was "ID" or "IV" ) this seemed to make them slightly better. we mix this during the day with some hard food mixed with water ( the only way they will eat it!!) and one sachet of the "good" stuff. so ime a bit stuck what else to do! in themselves they seem fine, playing , fighting, running all over the place and causing general mayhem , but so beautiful!! just still a bit worried about their stomachs!! think a trip to the vets!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
23-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreow
The ideal diet for our cats would be for them to catch and eat organically sound mice and birds; However few (if any) of us live in a place that allows this (and the cats would then be more likely to be an organically sound meal for a bigger predator).
I think they key is to inform yourself of what is good food for cats in general and then adapt and adopt until you have a diet (and any ameliorating techniques) that you feel confident is good enough and that your cat is happy with. It doesn't have to be theoretically perfect, it just has to be good enough and you are the best person to decide this for your particular cat(s).
Good post!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
25-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #28

JMPARK I find the gravy in wet food can sometimes lead to runny stools, have you tried sticking to just the jelly coated wet food and see if that helps.

Also try gently rubbing the kittens backs after they have eaten, this will help them to burp up any excess wind they'll have ingested when eating and ease any discomfort and help their food travel wind free and comfortably through their little bodies, this also helps elderly cats.

And it goes without saying stay clear of milk, this can also cause diarrhoea.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 BEAUTIFULL CATS!! BEAU AND JOY
JMPARK is Male
26-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #29

thanks for you help "truthisoutthere" but i think they might have a bit more of a problem! i rang the vet on friday night and they advised me to stop giving them the" i/d" special diet meat and just give them raw fish for a day, which i did on saturday, then mix a little of the "i/d" into the fish on the sunday. neither of them went to the toilet " back end" until this morning then one of them went twice within an hour, but back to the very runny problem, and one of them still hasn't gone!!! the one that hasnt gone, eats all the food ok but after about an hour is wanting more!! bit worried, but have just called the vets and am going to see them tomorrow morning!! other than this problem they are running around, playing ,fighting and sleeping fine, you wouldn't know there was any problem at all with them both!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: dsh
30-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #30

I believe that latest thinking is that dry diets are no better for cats teeth compared to wet- if so why are rc and hills suddenly producing dry food for dental problems!
Personally, I only feed a high meat wet food now, but it isn't practical for everyone, and let's face it many cats reach a grand old age being fed on the cheaper, dry food brands. If your cat only eats dry, it nay be worth while investing in a water fountain to try and encourage drinking more.
JMPARK- is this an on going problem, it may be worth asking you vet about treating for camphylobacter, which is a bacteria that often affects young animals.