Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
01-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #1

For Chaska, a fighter till the end

Chaska, my little 7 year old girl, has finally come to rest.

We found her as a 2 day old kitten, abondoned by her feral mum in November 2000. We raised her by hand: bottle fed her, helped her use the litter tray, treated her cat flu, watched her take her first steps and grow into a beautiful but very small cat.

She was always the 'wee one'; definately the runt of a litter, and always very petite and delicate, yet she had mastered catching adult rabbits in no time and often tried to play-fight with our older cat Sophie (much to Sophie's discontent!)

She was a wildcat at heart, always out in the garden and neighbouring fields stalking rabbits, and bringing them home only to leave the ears! Yet she was also so affectionate and attached. She never learnt how to meow properly really, she didn't have a mother and Sophie didn't take to her, so she just made little high-pitched peep noises.

She went missing once or twice and worried us sick, came back a week later skinny as a rake, dehydrated and underweight. Everytime she recovered and went off with her usual rabbit-chasing habits.

Sadly I moved away from home to University when she was around 3, but I often went home to visit and she'd always greet me with purrs, leg-rubs and 'peeps'. She seemed to remain an eternal kitten, never really getting bigger than an 11-month young cat and always acting like one!

Over the last half a year her health began to deterioriate. The vet diagnosed her with firstly cystisis. The antiobiotics helped and she was back to normal, until she suddenly took a turn for the worse and was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. My dad at home took extra special care of her, making sure she ate her prescription food and medicine, and still congratulating her with pets on the rabbits she somehow still managed to catch.

Unfortunately, despite all our best efforts and her fighting nature, she seemed to get worse and worse, until yesterday on Thursday 31st July, she was taken to the vet and put to sleep. She'd fought her last hard battle, caught her last rabbit, and was now ready to leave.

I never got to say goodbye to her, as I couldn't get home in time but I didn't want to keep her here, in pain and suffering, just so I could see her. But I have my memories, my photos, of us bottle feeding her, the video of her taking her first steps, and the memory of her little 'peeps'.

Now she can catch all the rabbits she likes, and isn't in any pain.

Chaska means the Peruvian Goddess of Princesses, and now she really can watch over all of us as a Goddess should.

Rest in Peace Chaska: your short but wonderful life brought us many smiles and happiness.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
01-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #2

Re: For Chaska, a fighter till the end

What a lovely tribute to dear Chaska, meep. So very sorry that she has gone.

Almost a Veteran Member

01-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #3

Thanks angie. I acutally feel quite guilty that I wasn't there for her, as whilst my dad gave her all the help and attention she needed, I am the big 'cat person' out of our family and feel bad I couldn't give her more love. I also felt guilty that I have my two boys at home with me here in Glasgow, and almost felt like I'd cheated on her or moved on before her time. I know it isn't really like that, but I just wish I could have been there

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
01-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #4

I am so sorry for your loss. She was such a stunning cat. You did all you could for her and you did the best thing anyone could do. Run free little one i can imagine you with all the little bunnies at the rainbow bridge.

jane

Almost a Veteran Member

01-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #5

Thanks Jane. She did have the most stunning markings. An almost perfect split down her face of two colours, and that 'line' ran all the way down her. When she got angry or scared she got a little mohican running from between her ears down to her tail! A very unique cat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
01-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #6

What an amazing-looking cat she was, with a beautiful name too. She had a good life and people around her who loved her and helped her when it was her time to leave.

A very hard and brave thing to do. RIP Chaska.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
01-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #7

Chaska was such a beautiful cat....... sleep well pretty girl..

No more pain.....RIP....xx

Almost a Veteran Member

01-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #8

Thank you Yola and Mags. It was hard not to wait until next week but was definately the right thing to do. I hope she's happy now, and not in any pain.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
01-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #9

So sorry for your loss, hugs xxx

R.I.P. Chaska, sleep well kitty xxx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #10

So sorry to hear about Chaska, she sounded like such a unique cat and her pic is gorgeous. I know it won't help much but I do believe you did the right thing in leaving her with your dad. She needed the love and care he could give her and with all the best will in the world, you were at the time of your life when you needed to be out and about.

Please try and not feel guilty, you did the absolute best you could for her and you just can't ask for more than that.

Sleep well pretty Chaska, chase bunnies at the bridge with all our precious babies

*hugs*