Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
23-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #11

Re: Advise please :-)

The main reason why the switch to wet food is recommmended is that it gets more fluid into them and helps prevent crystals (FUV I think it is, only the female cats get cystitis.)

To reach a happier compromise with Jerry try using a little off the boil water from the kettle on his dry food, it must be warm for Jerry to smell it and start lapping it up, my girl finds it hard to eat dry but laps up this mixture. This way Jerry will still get the taste of his dry food he loves so much but not the crunch. (I put what he doesn't eat out for the birds, the magpies love soggy cat food!)

If he still wants the crunch try water bowls around the house to encourage ease of drinking and change the water at least every day. Jerry may be able to have a few hand fed biscuits as treat if he is encourged to drink more, just a thought.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggy
23-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #12

He's a real good drinker since I got a water fountain 2 years ago and I always add water to his wet food but he won't touch the dry if I put water in it.

I have in the past thought of putting on to a raw diet and am going to go for it now! He didn't touch his food last night or this morning so that's 2 lots of medication he's not had!(he's far from stupid, he knows I've put something in it lol)! I've been speaking to a family member in America who have always fed their animals raw, she advised to try Jerry with a bit of raw mince first. He is currently stuffing his face and not seeming to care about the 2 crushed up tablets mixed up with it! We may be in to a winner here!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
23-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #13

Good lick wit the raw diet

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
23-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #14

It's starting off well, Erin!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
23-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #15

Excellent!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
24-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #16

aww sorry to hear that jerry has cystitis again. hope hes ok. I feed both of mine a pouch of wet food each in the morning then again in the evening. i think the 4 would be too much for them in 1 day