Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: ragdoll, tabby
14-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #1

hey fellow cat lovers ! need your help with kitten food ??

i have two kittens a ragdoll boy and a tabby girl, and have been feeding them felix wet pouches as thats what they were on when i got them and they like it. however they have both been sick quite a few times, and i think its down to the food as they have been wormed ect!
i brought a box of felix recently and it stank! i opened the box and one of the wet pouches had a small hole on it and obviously the food had gone mouldy. and we are feeding this to our cats? i do think its got 'bad' packets in the boxes thats making them sick
also my little ragdoll boy bolts his food very fast. typical boy and so hes been sick before when ive tried him with wet packets with big lumps of food in it as he doesnt chew it properly. sooooo ( sorry to go on! ) what wet food packets do you recommend (i dont mind spending money on the babys so price isnt an issue as i want something that wont make them sick) that is also quite chopped up small.

please help ))) x

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 2 cats 1 tabby and 1 ragdoll
14-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #2

Re: hey fellow cat lovers ! need your help with kitten food ??

both my cats will only ea ,tiger from asda,my older cat doesnt like jelly but will eat it if its the tiger one

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #3

If the food is damaged take it back it where you got it.

Natures Menu is the best kitten food and has highest meat content, our kitten will only eat a mix of felix kitten and natures menu kitten and then fills ,herself up with the adults Felix

If changing foods, do it slowly over a few days to avoid upset digestions

Re the kitts leaving meat chunks - mash it all up thoroughy with a fork & mix well so they can't lick the jelly or gravy off leaving the meat

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #4

Absolutely take anything damaged back to where you bought it - they should refund your money at the very least.

It is very much depends what individual cat/kitten will eat, but I'd at least try Nature's Menu as Velvet suggests. Though having said that, my Pip when a kitten would only eat a very small amount.

I'm not sure that specific "kitten" food is necessary - if they prefer "adult" food, IMO that's fine.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
15-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #5

The food has probably been in storage somewhere hot if it smells rank. If you've not kept it in a very hot garage (eg)and it's still in date (and you still have the receipt and a pouch or 2 left) take it back to the shop, tell them about the hole and emphasise that it could have been caused by a mouse or rat in storage and could have made your 2 very, very sick.

If you want something chopped up quite small I give gourmet Gold chicken and liver but only as a treat, the gravy's too rich to give daily, but it's chopped up small and ready to go. Also Felix As Good as it Looks is small bits too. Having said that what's more important is feeding them a good quality food and as Velvet says mush up the chunks for now, will they not take meat or pate type wet?

As for your little ragdoll boy bolting his nosh you may have to give it to him in 2 stages, being a kitten little and often may be better anyway.

Do it whichever way you find suits, but certainly go with the advice on here on a getting them on a good quality food.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 36 Moggies and 1 Neurotic ragdoll
15-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #6

Our kittens, 2 former ferals Kali and Sherbet and our rescue Bengal are on Felix as good as it looks and Hilife food with RC Kitten buscuits and Purina kitten biscuits with good results

Porsche Brngal was starving when found and so thin bless her little bengal socks and is now putting on weight, another idea is to raise the food bowls up so they are standing as opposed to sitting down to eat this can sometimes help with the bolting food eaters

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
15-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #7

Agree with all of the above: better quality food, return the remains of the bad lot to the shop, mash up the hunks and small but frequent meals for the greedy one. Oh and yes, if they prefer adult food, it's OK; not perfectly balanced for kittens but if that's what they prefer and eat, go with it.

Cats owned: 2
23-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #8

Hello I'm new to Catsey...I have two cats and they love the Felix pouches, so unlucky you got a bad batch you should definately should get a refund if possible. If you feel like giving it another go I have just got a sweet deal on felix
http://www.petshopbowl.co.uk/cat/can...ood-12pk-100g/