Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 cats black/white and one tabby
05-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #11

Re: Raw to go diet! Cheap raw feeding option!

I need to update my profile - I'm in Nottingham.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule
Elaine, we think it's either eggs or chicken digest, possibly cereals. Some cat foods make him really sick (we kept taking him to the vets when we first knew there was a problem and the vet said if Dylan had a food intolerance we could find out by trying him on different cat foods and discovering which ones caused his sickness then ruling out the different ingredients. Next time he sees this vet I'll ask about giving Dylan a blood test to find out exactly which ingredients he's intolerant to. I thought intolerances wouldn't show up on allergy tests though or is it a seperate test?

(Sorry Howldaloom, getting off topic)
My vet mentioned it to me about a month or so ago. He had been to a seminar about it and we were talking about Rayne having it done but we need her to be steriod free before we can do it. He said to me that these blood tests have come such a long way. No harm asking your vet to look into it for you.

Catsey Veteran

05-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #13

I'll have a word with her next time I take Dylan in. It seems to be iams cat food that causes it the worst but that's not the only one.

Cats owned: Mongrels
05-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #14

If your near retford area you are rather close to me. Im in gainsborough

Iams has a nasty reputation ESP in america.

I dont no wheather you no about the pet food recall in america? It killed a couple thousand dogs and cats and gave a load more kidney failure.

Alot of cat food brands contained a chemical called melomine which was toxic to our pets.

Anyway cut a long story short. Iams instead of recalling their food. decided to test their food on about 20 cats to see if it would kill them.

It did

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/ list of pet foods recalled in 2007

http://www.iamscruelty.com/introduction.asp Testing iams are doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAEwCliYl50 video!

Catsey Veteran

05-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #15

When I emailed them about Dylan's food intolerance to ask what ingredients they put in, the response I got was basically that it was DYLAN'S fault that the food made him sick I'm not sure whether I still have the email, may have deleted it from sheer disgust.

Better get back on topic now, off poisonams

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
05-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #16

What a lot of rubbish!!! How can an intolerance be the fault of the animal. Surely that's not what they said?

Catsey Veteran

05-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #17

They said in the email it wasn't their food that was the problem, Dylan's tummy was the problem (unfortunately I can't remember the exact wording and no longer have the email - deleted it out of sheer disgust)

I have no idea what they were talking about, maybe I'm being thick but I just don't see it. They came across as being a load of uncaring *insert your own word*

I know Dylan's a pig with his food but I can tell the difference between Dylan pigging out and making himself sick and the food Dylan's eating making himself sick.

05-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #18

Of course a big multi billion dollar company cannot be in the wrong putting loadsa fillers and wheat into a carnivours food

What utter rot!

Have you had a luck on zooplus? They do some great grain free foods! Have a look at porta 21 sensible grain free food.

I have no idea what your budget is? But its around £34 pounds for a 10kg sack of food.

And a goodish wet food is smilla, grau and bozita.

But for all that expense you might aswell feed the raw to go diet.

It would cost you less and you get a fantastic diet. Or there is the NI diet or darlings.

None of the raw diets contain fillers

05-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #19

Maby just try feeding him a decent wet food only diet. again smilla is a good option. You can buy 30 cans for £22 which would be more then enough for one cat

Catsey Veteran

05-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #20

Dylan's main trouble is he's a greedy pig and eats any other cats food he can find, so he wears a do not feed collar but it doesn't do anything to stop him from being a pig

Edit: I think he's had some iams this evening, he's just had the runs in his tray