Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
11-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #11

Re: Royal Canin

You're right, being originally from a desert climate they tend not to drink as much. I prefer a 90% wet with a little warm water added to make more gravy and increase the liquids content; dry, just a sprinkling on top for flavor. Too much dry can cause cystitis problems.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
11-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #12

My winter project is to find the perfect cat gravy! Mine will only eat dry but go mad for the gravy on ASDA's own brand Tiger or Felix roast. They will not eat the "meat" at all. I would love to encourage them to eat more wet, so will let you know how it goes.

I've thought about liquidising a food pouch (as above) and maybe adding a little water or trying debittered brewers yeast and adding some tomato puree ..... I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 mog
11-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #13

The new sheba pouch cat food in gravy has loads of gravy, Our cats love it!

Catsey Veteran

11-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #14

But Angie's two don't like wet, that's the problem; we need someone to sell just gravy!! Fancy Feast's Grilled Beef tins have lots of lovely gravy which I extend with some warm water; Leia always laps that up completely before eating the meat.

Cats owned: RUSSION BLUE
27-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #15

I Feed My 12 Year Old Royal Canin Indoor 27. Dry And Wet Food. It Has Glucosamine In The Food That Helps Older Cats And Dogs With Arthritist. Mama Coat And Eyes Are Breatifull She Is Like A Kitten At 12.i Bleave It To Be The Best On The Market They Have Been Around For Years. But................

I Have Done Alot Of Research On Pet Food And If I Was Every To Get Another Cat I Would Make The Cat Food My Self . I Bleave That Alot That Is In Pet Food Today Is Giving Are Pets Cancer, Alot Of Company Put Road Kill Into There Pet Food, I Never Buy Food Out Of Grocery Stores I Only Buy From Vets Are Pet Mart, I Dont Take For Granted Any More
What Companys Say Abought There Pet Food I Research It First. If I Was Going To Make The Food
I Would First Talk To My Vet Abought It As Cats Need Ash In There Food And Nutrition,you Have To Make Sure Your Pet Is Getting The Daily Requirments.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 5 Cats
16-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #16

RC is good but personally I think Hills is better but mine like eating Go Cat indoor plus I don't want to upset there flow of feeding a different food, they get bored of other foods.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
31-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #17

I got a sample bag of Royal Canin Sterilised Cat +7, Missy loves it but it is so expensive. I wondered too if it was worth the price.

Catsey Veteran

31-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #18

When Leia had cystitis my vet gave me a sample of Royal Canin ... she wouldn't eat it.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Moggy
31-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #19

Cats!! Who would have one!! My kids weren't as fussy as Missy.

Cats owned: Siamese
14-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #20

This topic is always an interesting one. Like many others, I would say, keep the little one on the same food as the breeder has suggested for the first couple of weeks and then gradually introduce the food that any other household cats are being fed.

Many people here have also said that RC is a well known high quality food and their cats have done well on it. Mine have enjoyed it for quite a while but I also feed wet food because it is my opinion that it is not good to feed ONLY dried food even though you may put water down for drinking.

There are many cheaper brands of cat foods on the market which loads of cats eat without any undue ill effects that I know of. I am not a veterinary dietician, vet or expert, just someone who has owned cats over many many years and have tried and exchanged news with others about various cat foods.

We all do the best we can for our fur-kids and I cannot say one way is categorically better than another for all cats because individuals may have slightly different digestive needs - e.g., some are more sensitive and fussy than others. Your kitten will have probably been fed on a reasonably wide variety of foods so check with the breeder whether there are other brands that you may be able to give your little one, for the sake of dietary interest.

Please let us know how you get on and post a nice little picture if you can.