Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
14-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #31

Re: Very worried about simon

Have they run any tests to find the cause?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
14-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kado
The vets cant wont say either way. Hoping to see him today where all missing him so much. He's in a pdsa hospital and i know they will do everthing they can.
I think that is very unkind of them. They are the professionals and they should expect to give advice. If Simon is likely to be in a lot of pain for a long time, or if there is a good chance that he will not pull through at all, then you have a very difficult decision as to whether it is kind to continue threatment.
However, have they said why they think he cannot wee? Has he got 'stones' in his bladder, one of which has blocked his wee-wee tube (urethra)? If so, can the blockage be shifted? If so, and it is shifted, will it return?
Remember that animals (like children) can bounce back quickly after illness.
Lots of positive vibes coming your way ... good luck.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
14-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #33

they said he has had a blocked urethra they had been a plug in it they have unblocked it.

Catsey Veteran

14-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #34

When my very first cat had urine retention it was because of urinary crystals. This was a long long time ago - over 30 years - and it was assumed it was because of the (then) dry food. He had a couple of attacks which were sorted with medication (sorry can't remember which) and then had a severe attack. We rushed him to the vet and he was treated with drugs and acupuncture. He managed to wee without a catheter and was OK after that. We didn't give him dry food after that.
That would point to your boy being OK for the future if he can get through these difficult days.
I wouldn't give him dry food again and would try to get him to take extra fluid - for instance by adding a spoonful of warm water to his wet food.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Exotics,oriential,siamese,& Mogg...
14-12-2006, 01:24 PM   #35

Leo has exactly the same as Simon, about 6 years ago, he was completely blocked, stayed with the vet a week... He has fully recovered now, just has a jab every month to strengthen the bladder wall.....
Keep your chin up Kado, its horrible seeing them so poorly, but he is in the best place....Hugs... xx

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
14-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #36

This is what my neighbours cat had. I found him writhing in pain in my garden, left a note for my neighbours (who were out). Thankfully they came back soon and the cat (Maple) had an op, was in the vets for 5 days and then came home right as rain.

The brute STILL bit and scratched me for all it was worth, so no thanks there then

Seriously - if the blockage has been removed, Simon should make a full recovery. Worth checking if it's something that's likely to happen again though.

Lots of love and hugs - keep strong and try to think clearly for Simon's sake.

Catsey Veteran

14-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #37

Jane - I hope hearing of 3 cats who have been ill with this condition but all were OK after a little while will cheer you.
Yola is right that it will help you if you stay confident - it's easy to get caught up in the drama of the moment but hopefully he will be fine now.
((hugs))

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
14-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #38

Simon is in the best place Jane, they will look after him and get him well again for you ......... I know it is so worrying for you but I'm sure he will get through this as the other members' cats did above.....

Stay positive ((((hugs))))

Catsey Veteran

14-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #39

I am trying to stay possitive for simons sake. Kay is realy missing him wont play and will only eat when either guinness or kado are there eating too. Its so quiet and we dont like it. We have had him since he was six and a half weeks and was the runt of the litter. The flat is not the same without him.

Catsey Veteran

14-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #40

Just been to see simon. I think he reconised us. He had a drip up and his cathiter in as well . They said there going to take the cathiter out tomorrow and see if he wees himself. In his cage there was some tuna which he wont eat. If he wees byhimself he might be coming home or we will take in his own food. Might have to change is food so it will help him not to get an infection.

jane