Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
09-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #1

Cats and children

It's sad to see the rescue postings by Kelly Jo, with all those lovely Ragdolls needing new homes (but it's a good thing that rescue societies are there to pick up the pieces)
It seems that the arrival of children into the households has led to the cats difficulties and need to be rehomed.
I wondered why this is
Are Ragdolls, and possibly other purebreds, less capable of adapting to change than moggies?
Have they been over-fussed (substitute children) before the babies arrived and can't cope with being relegated?
Are the children not taught (made?) to respect the cats and give them space?
Something else?

It's a great pity, whatever the reasons

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Siamese and Moggies
09-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #2

Re: Cats and children

I'm not sure but I always had both cats AND dogs (it's the exact same with dogs isn't it, new baby - dog goes) before and after my son was born, he's never lived without at least one of each and to be honest I have never had a problem.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #3

I think a lot has to do about the current hysteria about cleanliness and hygene. It IS possible to maintain a clean home, have pets and children and not end up with endless tummy bugs.

Therre is also mis-education about toxoplasmosis; if you've emptied litter tray regularly or even stroked you cats it's likely you've already built up an imunity to it. Yes, it worth being careful during pregnancy but don't (for want of a better analogy) throw the baby out with the bathwater!!!

Also, my boys were taught from an early age to keep out of the litter, not eat the catfood and respect the cats. If one of the cats scratched a child - and because I know the cats it'll be 99.9% child-induced - then it's the child that is told that they shouldn't torment the cat! That message sinks in very quickly

Yes, the cats can get stressed. All mine have adapted - albeit Balie's behaviour has become a little more extreme, but he is coping OK. I would never in a million years consider rehoming the cats.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: sadly 1 boy now :(
09-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #4

i say keep the animals and re-home the kids lol

joke honest LOL

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #5

LOL BM . . . there's many a day where I say that to myself too . . . .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
09-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #6

Good point DM, and one I noticed as well. When I was pregnant, we had a cat and a dog, no problems. I had to rehome the dog after Raechel was born because we had just moved house as well, and poor Bonnie could not handle the upset. She started to growl at raechel, hackles raised, and we just couldn't take the risk. However, I have no understanding of why anyone would rehome a cat with a baby/young child in the house. And imo, the younger a child is, the easier a cat can accept them and they grow up respecting animals.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #7

Probably it's a combination of difficulties - I seem to remember another rehoming (from RCR's rescue centre I think) where a cat was being rehomed because of a baby coming. I presume that mothers to be are being given advice about cleanliness that may be a bit OTT or being advised by people who aren't keen on animals and children sharing the same home. Who can say for certain?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #8

It just makes me sad that the once (I assume) loved and wanted pet takes the back seat and then is 'disposed' of because of a baby.

I grew up with animals all my life. Slept with the dogs and cats. At my uncles farm I was right in with any animal I was allowed near. (mother tells me there were days she used vim to get the dirt off my knees for school next day!

I think there is something in the thought that new/expectant mothers are given such a list of forbidden things and hygiene is so ott that something akin to panic sets in.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Burmese
09-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #9

I find it so hard to believe that people get rid of their pets when they have children.

My first cat, a Siamese, was 4 when I had my first child and I would never thought of giving him up -never had any problems at all, my daughter loved him as she started growing and by 18months got great pleasure when I put him on her lap to sit.

Some people do not want to make the effort, everyhting is too much trouble for them.

I now have a 12 year old rescue cat I took from the CP in July - his previous owners had had him for 12 years and as they were moving out of the area decided they no longer wanted him. I found that quite unbelievable as he is a lovely affectionate cat and we are so pleased to have him and make his last years pleasant.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
09-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #10

Im quite unsure, i was born into a house which had an ageing persian and a couple of moggies, and both grandparents and g-grandparents who lived close had a few mogs n the old style siamese. All of our cats just took life in their stride...that said i have noticed a few pedigree's seeming quite highly strung nowdays..