Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Cats owned: moggies
la bing is Male
04-01-2009, 02:51 AM   #1

Cat flaps

Mods/admin, please move to right section if not in right place.

Hi all, we are having major problems with forigin cats! If there is already a thread on this can you post the link, thanks.

We have just adopted Ted and Maddie. They came from an area where there wernt a lot of cats. The problem we have is other cats coming in their house eating all their food and making them feel unsafe. We have a cat flap which Spock used to use with no problems. Well he used to let him self out and then go next door when he wanted letting in when we were at work One way only you see.

How ever Ted and maddie are different. They are shy and timmid, and dont trust anybody. I feel guilty about having the cat flap on out only! After all its their house so why cant they come and go when they want??

I was wondering if any body has one of these fitted... http://www.microchipcatflaps.co.uk/?...FUsa3godPzjXBg ..

They look the muts nuts if you pardon the pun. The thing is i dont like wasting money, if they work then its not a problem. Maddie gets bullyed by all the other cats and comes crashing through the flap at a high rate of notts. I want to know if its as good as it says it is! 1/20th of a second reaction time, and will work up to 8ft away...

Thanks in advance

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-01-2009, 12:10 PM   #2

Re: Cat flaps

I've had no experience with magnetic cat flaps but some of our members here have them for their cats.......hopefully they will be along later to give you their thoughts...

Meanwhile you may like to have a look through our earlier threads on the subject of cat flaps, magnetic and ordinary ones ......it may give you some ideas.......

http://www.catsey.com/search.php?searchid=350259&pp=25

Just a thought, is there any way you could catproof your garden?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
04-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #3

Mags has answered fully - I have nothing else to add, except that the magnets are quite heavy for the cats to carry on their collars. If I were going down this path I would go for the microchip ones.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
04-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #4

I have a staywell catflap with the magnetic mice (they are very small on their collars) never had a problem with other cats coming in. Some of the staywell ones you can programe so only your cats can come in

la bing is Male
04-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #5

Thanks for your answers. I should have said we have a staywell magnectic cat flap. TBH its rubbish. Spock our old cat could not get his head round it He cought on by watching next doors cat force his way through. The magnegtic catch isnt up to the job of stopping a hungry heavy male

Plus getting collors on these two is no easy task, we have tried a couple of times they manage to get them off. Thats why we are going to get them chiped as we cant put a tag on their collers. So thats why im thinking of the microchip cat flap.

By the way Mags the link you have posted for an earler thread wont work Im off to have a good look round the site though

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: All black and white and tortie's
04-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #6

I have a cat flap just a ordinary one we had to block it off and lock it. My neighbours cat used to visit here before we moved in and Simon doesnt like him a bit. A friend of mine brought one and a cat worked it out that if you press it one a certain corner it will pop open. Guinness our big cat ram raids ours too get out wether its locked or closed so we our table against it and there isnt enough room too get out.

jane

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
04-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bing

By the way Mags the link you have posted for an earler thread wont work Im off to have a good look round the site though
Oops sorry about that......... try clicking on Search on the left hand side and type in magnetic cat flaps as the key words - hopefully it should work

la bing is Male
04-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #8

Yea i found the search, dont know why i didnt think of that last night! I run a v bullietin bord my self on tenpin bowling

Think we are going to get one, will let you know all know how it performs