Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

Sound Sensitivity

Posted here because ethometrix also deals with cat health issues.

I've been searching the Internet to find information on sound phobia in relation to my Miniature Schnauzer, Monty and just happened across this. The questionnaire did help me to focus on how Monty was reacting to noises and, I am sad to say, he scored 18 out of 25 and, according to their criteria could be classed as "severely affected" and phobic. At least it gives me information that I can now take to the vet. Poor Monty! Sod's Law, the next door bungalow which has been empty for ages is now being done up and there has been noise (not really bad) this afternoon and again Monty was shivering and trying to dig up the carpet.

http://surveys.ethometrix.com/s3/CEVAssq

I was also impressed later because the details of the questionnaire I filled in and the outcome in relation to points score for Monty were emailed to me.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
14-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

Re: Sound Sensitivity

Interesting now today I have been putting up the decorations and to me that involves the big stapler can't be doing with pins etc. So its like a crack ever realised until today when Bella head (she was asleep on the sofa) shot upand panic in her eyes....it must have the same "noise base" as a firework but my thinking was I got the stapler and a piece of wood and sat next to her and stapled twice with a gap in between because I know she is better with back firing cars and motor bikes in the daylight when she can see them. So I showed her and not sure what happened but she went back to sleep and I carried on stapling..................maybe its the security I now know she spent some part of her previous life in a metal shed (which would echo like mad) and also her previous home backed onto a shooting range......but they never put two and two together the rescue and I have done that I suppose they have lived there that long they never considered it bit like me with the railway over the back.
Angie I wonder does it make any difference if Monty sees the chaps who are making the noise rather than it just being a "noise of no origin" a bit like monsters under the bed to small children.

Catsey Veteran

14-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Okay this is Bella' score not gone for the detaileThe main part of the test asked you about typical signs of stress, such as trembling, panting, and restlessness. When the answers to these questions are added together, it produces a score from 0 to 25.

Your dog had a score of 17 out of 25.

This indicates that your dog has a severe reaction to loud noises.

However her coping methods are good I think
Your dog had a coping score of 6 out of 15.

And pleased her physical signs of stress are
Your dog has score of 0 out of 20, and shows no physical signs of stress

I actually think now she has found her own safe place which is under the dressing table she may be a bit more secure.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
15-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

That's really interesting with the stapler Kazz. You did the right thing there. I wonder if she will be as relaxed about it again if you leave it a while and use the stapler again?

Monty's test results were:

Behavioural signs of stress:
Your dog had a score of 18 out of 25

A score of 15-25 indicates that your dog has a severe reaction to loud noises.

Dogs with severe reactions are also more likely to show signs of distress in response to very low level sounds that are barely audible to us. They tend to react to rain and other noises that are associated with loud noises, and they take a long time to go back to normal after a loud noise event is over. Because of this, we tend to describe these severely affected dogs as "phobic".

Dogs in the severe category are likely to need treatment with long-term medication to reduce their fear or anxiety, as well as behavioural therapy (desensitisation and counter-conditioning using an effective product). This will reduce the dog's reaction to loud noises.

If you repeat the test after a period of suitable treatment, your dog's score for behavioural stress signs should go down.

Coping behaviour:
Your dog had a score of 12 out of 15. 

When dogs are afraid, they try to hide. If they can find somewhere good to hide, where sound levels are lower and they feel safe, then the fear starts to go away.

If your dog got a high score for the questions covering coping behaviour, this means that he or she may not have found a suitable hiding place. This can have an impact on the progression of your dog's symptoms. In particular, a score of 8 or more is associated with worsening fear of loud noises over time.

This is true and something we can remedy. I have ordered a dark coloured blanket to put over Monty's crate to give him somewhere to go. I put him in his crate after he started reacting to the builder a couple of days ago (and he could see the man next door which triggered Schnauzer guard barking too quite apart from noise sensitivity).

Physical signs of stress:
Your dog had a score of 2 out of 20.

He shivers, pants and salivates but luckily does not lose other functions.

Additional questions

The scale also includes specific questions on how long your dog takes to recover after an event, the minimum intensity of sound your dog reacts to, and whether your dog shows anticipation of an event by reacting anxiously to sounds such as rain.

Anticipation: The maximum score for this question is 10. Higher scores indicate that the dog reacts more intensely to events that predict a forthcoming loud noise event. Your dog had a score of 0.

Recovery: The maximum score is 4. A score of 3 or 4 is an indication of a very prolonged recovery after an event has ended. Your dog had a score of 2.

Minimum sound to cause a reaction: The maximum score is 4. A score of 4 corresponds with the dog reacting to noises that the owner can hardly hear. Dogs that show this kind of reaction are likely to have a larger number of negative experiences. Your dog had a score of 4.

We have further work to do with the things the questionnaire and scale does not include:

The scale does not include questions about the types of noises your dog reacts to, or how often your dog is frightened by loud noises. This is because these are specific to each individual animal and its environment.

To help your vet to make a decision on what kind of treatment is best for your dog you should:- Make a list of the noises that your dog is afraid of.

So far: Fireworks; thunder; building works!

Make an estimate of how often your dog is frightened by loud noises (for example, how many times each month).

A dog that is frightened by loud noises on a daily or weekly basis throughout the year is clearly very badly affected and needs help.

This is difficult - fireworks are seasonal; thunderstorms hard to predict.

I'll be on the watch for other noises that scare him!

All in all a useful exercise - seems like you found the same Kazz. It's amazing the rescue did not connect Bella's past experiences to her behaviour. You'd think that's the least they could do to warn a prospective adopter. Bella is a very lucky dog to have found you.

Catsey Veteran

15-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #5

They were not aware she had a noise phobia no thunder when they had her and no fireworks. And I suspect a lot of people live by the shooting range etc etc