Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
13-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

getting claws clipped

Taking Harris and Skye to get their nails done at p@h. Harris is going tonight and i have no worries about him going as he fine the last time as they allowed me to hold him. Im more worried about Skye though. She is going tomorrow night as we only have 1 carrier. She loves attention like getting petted and snuggling beside us but when it comes to get lifted or handled she is not a happy cat and we can only hold her for a matter of seconds before shes wriggling to get away, so my concern is, how do we handle her long enough for the groomer to clip her claws without her wriggling??

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
13-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #2

Re: getting claws clipped

Risky business - I've not been to the P@H clinic; presume it's in a separate enclosed room, so Skye won't actually be able to escape? You could try scruffing her, holding her firmly by the loose skin on the back of her neck. It doesn't hurt the cat and reminds them of how their mother would have held them, so they generally relax.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
13-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #3

I take Cassie to the vet to have her claws clipped. The vet usually tucks her under her arm, resting on the table and holds one paw at a time and snips away.

Cassie is 14 now and in all those years I've been unable to hold her in my arms for more than a few seconds as she will immediately turn her head away and push away from me with her feet ..........yet she'll come on to my lap for cuddles no problem!
Skye sounds very much like Cassie!

Vets know how to handle a cat and often the cat is as good as gold when someone else holds her!

Catsey Veteran

13-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieh
Risky business - I've not been to the P@H clinic; presume it's in a separate enclosed room, so Skye won't actually be able to escape? You could try scruffing her, holding her firmly by the loose skin on the back of her neck. It doesn't hurt the cat and reminds them of how their mother would have held them, so they generally relax.
its in a completely different area angie. It is just the same as a normal grooming parlour. They were great with Harris the last time. I will try the holding her by the skin on her neck idea and see how she gets on. I am going to say to the groomer tonight that she isnt used to being handled so that they are prepared!!!! i have no worries about her lashing out out. I dont think she would although you can never be sure but she hasnever done it with us and i make a point of lifting her everyday to try get her used to it

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
13-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #5

Hope it goes well for her and that the groomer is experienced with reluctant cats. The scruffing is a good idea......

Catsey Veteran

13-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #6

Back form the groomers with Harris, he was a right wee ladies man!!! Purring away when the girl was running the furminator over him!!! Skye must be able to smell the other animals from him as she has been hissing at him when he walks by. Fingers crossed she is good tomorrow. I have said to them about her so they are prepared!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
13-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

Good luck!

Catsey Veteran

13-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #8

Not exactly the dreaded vet smell, but he definitely smells strange to her, hence the hissing ....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #9

Glad all went OK with Harris - he does sound as if he plays the part very well! Good luck with Skye!

Catsey Veteran

14-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #10

How did it go? Was she a good girl?