Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Imogen BSH
06-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #21

Re: Vets, good and bad

Confident handling is definetely a must! All animals will react to any anxiety you project when handing them-which is why I'd usually use a towel or similar, it doesn't really offer much protection but it makes me feel braver!
I agree with you Meep that the way your vet dealt with Chaska was not very professional.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: None
07-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #22

Thanks CM, finding a good vet must be a god-send. The one I described was the one at home, in a different city to where I live with my two boys now. I'm just wary that in a large city, there are more vets and it might be harder to find the right one?

Pinklizzy, I know what you mean about the towel it doesn't actually offer much protection but a cat claw through a towel rather than your bare skin is always slightly more reassuring.

Not sure if the vet we saw that day was maybe standing in, or new, or normally dealt with farm animals etc? I'd never seen her before or since.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 19 Persians, 2 Oriental SHs
07-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #23

Todays trip to my vets put this thread in my mind and how you can have good and bad vets at the same clinic.

Last week I took Lyle to have a health check as I do with all new cats I get. In particular I wanted his heart listened to, with what has happened to Tate lately. I explained this to the vet as it was a different one to the one that is dealing with Tate. She tried to listen to Lyle's heart for about 1-2 minutes and then gave up saying " I can't hear a thing as he won't stop purring". Not a very successful visit.

Today Kirah was having her last jab and Tate was having a check up with Ceri, the other vet who has dealt with Tate all along so knows my concerns, so I took Lyle as well. She took 15 minutes trying different things to get him to stop purring while she listened. She held him close, put her hand over his nose, used some surgical spirit on cotton wool wafted under his nose but to no avail. Lyle just carried on purring. She then dealt with Kirah and Tate. Next she went and got some AD on a saucer, explaining that it is hard for them to feed and purr, at last it worked. Lyle ate the AD, no purring and Ceri got to listen to his heart which is clear. Just that extra time, care and patience payed off and not literally as she didn't even charge me for Lyle.