Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 lovely boys and a beautiful girl
16-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #21

Re: What are you reading at the moment ?

Well I've got a couple on the go at the moment I tend to pick up books and put them down in different rooms (always one beside the bath lol). I'm reading Patricia Cornwell 'The Scarpetta Factor', a M&B historical romance (they are my light and easy read books to fill in an hour or so, and the latest J.D Robb Eve Dallas mystery

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
04-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #22

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I'm asking for recommendations ..... just finished "Following Atticus" - brilliant and a real weepy.

Fancy a good Whodunnit ...........

Catsey Veteran

04-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #23

I've just downloaded CJ Sansom's Revelation as I've enjoyed the previous 3 Shardlake mysteries.

It's awfully easy to spend money downloading books for your Kindle ..... luckily, it's not expensive, but I could foresee a problem of getting too much stuff!!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
05-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #24

im reading third twilight book at the moment,

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 blue-eyed moggies
05-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #25

I'm currently reading Tom's Midnight Garden. Yes, I know it's a children's story but I enjoyed it many years ago while watching tv with my children so I thought I'd read the book too.

I've also just downloaded Before I go to Sleep by S J Watson, it's currently high in the paperback best seller list and it was only £2.70 for my Kindle.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 domestic short haired
05-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #26

that is such a good book MrsH!!! i love that story!!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
05-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #27

Tom's midnight garden, probably my favourite film and book.
I first watched it in the 60's at school. It was serialised and i remember sitting crossed legged on the floor in the tv room watching it. It's truly magical and i used to play at it.
There have been several versions since it was made in 1958 i think. I have a video of one made in the 80's but would love to find the original tv version. I still recall that moment when Tom goes down stairs and opens the back door to find the beautiful garden.
Thanks MrsH for taking me down memory lane
At the moment i'm reading a new book, Murder and Mystery on the Titanic, it's a non fiction book involving several stories about the crew and passengers.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
05-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #28

I love Tom's Midnight Garden.I think it is set round here somewhere as don't Tom and Hattie skate to Ely or Peterborough at one point?

If you like crime books Angie then I would recommend the Simon Serralier series by Susan Hill.

I am currently reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre on the Kindle, Black Swan Green by David Mitchell is the 'current 'bath book' and I have just started An Equal Stillness by Francesca Kay from the library.

Catsey Veteran

13-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #29

I really enjoyed Revelation, so am now looking at other books to read (although I do have a p/back on the go, A Clash of Kings, the 2nd in the Song of Ice and Fire series). I caught the TV serialisation of Call the Midwife last night - what a tear-jerker that was, so I'm wondering about a Jennifer Worth book.

Very strangely and coincidentally, I came across an article about a local writer in a local free paper and I remembered her straight away, as I was friends with her two older sisters and we went to the same school. Here's a link to her website, just in case you like historical drama ....

http://gabriellekimm.co.uk/

Her two books are available as Kindle versions too and I might just be tempted to try one ....

I will look at the Susan Hill series, CS, thanks for that. Have you read any Donna Leon?

Sorry to say I've never heard about Tom's Midnight Garden - will have to check that out.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
13-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #30

I loved Tom's Midnight Garden too . . . one from my childhood that I have on DVD for the boys and who like it too.

I've just finished reading Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes which was a Mann Booker winner and which I found claustrophobic and a difficult read but nonetheless absorbing.

Have just started Rivers of London by Ben Aaranovitch which is a strange mixture of supernatural and criminal/detective. OH has also read it and he really liked it. It references a lot of areas around London I know which is fun, but overlays it all with a slightly skewed view of 'what might be' . . .