Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Oriental
05-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

Peeing next to my bed

Myszka afaik has always gone in his litter tray until recently. When I came back from 2 weeks away in France (cat sitter) I found he'd urinated in the corner of my bedroom next to my bed. He then got seriously ill, so I thought it could be related, or he'd got scared by a cat from outside and was feeling insecure because I wasn't there.
Anyway he got better... and I've since caught him going twice in the same area while I've been home. I bought myself a blacklight and some enzymatic cleaner and set to work.
I'm not sure his urine always shows under the blacklight, when it does it's bright orangey. Is that normal for it not to show? And it doesn't always seem to smell that strong (he is neutered, and drinks plenty), so I'm getting more paranoid that he's gone elsewhere and I won't find it
As I was waking up this morning he did it again, so I've cleaned up and now have a litter tray beside my bed, just where you want one right!?
Is there anything else I should be doing? I know I need to tackle the cause, but if it's cats outside not a lot I can do about that?

Catsey Junior

03-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

Re: Peeing next to my bed

Aaaaaaaaaaaand now he's peeing in both corners by the front door. Such a pleasant smell to greet people... really embarrassed now how can I have people over?!

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggies and 1 ragdoll
03-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #3

I believe that Feliway can help with this. One of our cats was peeing on the bathroom mat or on the bed. Originally he had a urine infection but he carried on even after this cleared up. I think he only does it if he's stressed but it's hard to tell with Fecto what's stressing him. He hasn't done it for ages, touch wood. I haven't used Feliway myself but other Catseys have and pronounced it good.

Catsey Junior

03-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #4

Yeah think it's needed, can't hurt. Put one of the scratching boards there to boost his scent in another way and thrown mat away and washed down with bio washing liquid so atleat smell gone for now
Think he insecure about all cats outside, there are quite a few and he not allowed out anymore since he got ill which I don't think helps at all.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Short-haired cats
04-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #5

Something is setting him off by the front door -- neighbor cats?
I would suggest cleaning the places in the bed room and placing litter boxes there.
Maybe he could feel threatened or not save in his own home?

He's not allowed out anymore? Maybe harness training him to walk with him might be a good idea?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Moggies
04-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #6

Maybe get him check at the vet? Cleo does this when she has cystitis as I think she associates the litter tray with it hurting to pee- it's usually a sign that she is as the start of a bout of it.

Catsey Junior

28-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #7

Just a small update...

He did eventually stop after the above episode and everything has been fine until month and bit ago...

A neighbours dog recently chased my house cat when he got out, damaged his eyes a bit but otherwise ok. Unfortunately Myszka was mixed up in it and got very distressed and insecure again. Since then he's been peeing around the house again, hissing and picking on his brother, and generally not being himself.

I've started him on zylkene. Been spraying feliway in my bedroom. Pet remedy by the front door, doesn't seem to work this and in fact makes myszka frisky instead of calm. Made sure there's lots of scent soakers in key areas. Play with them every day. Ofc been giving lots of attention etc, especially when mysz comes home from being out. I've recently also sight blocked my bedroom windows and the kitchen french doors. This seems to have helped in these areas. I've also reached out to a behaviourist I found online for a telephone consultation.

No pee for 2 days now, well, that I can find. Still can't help but smell pee everywhere. Really gets you down sometimes! But hopefuly we'll get him back to feeling happy.

Oh have had some success with cleaning with watered down bio washing detergent, vinegar, bicarb.