Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: NA
09-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Help for very matted Persian

My friend who has become disabled has a lovely Persian Cat.
The Cat unfortunately has a very large amount of matted fur which she is unable to get out.
The Cat was taken to the vets today who were going to remove the matts preferably without sedation . Fleur became very distressed so the vets attempted to sedate her.
My friend recieved a phone call asking her to pick Fleur up, she had fought the sedation and they were unable to do anything at all.
I suggested she ring the vet and ask if they could give her some tranquilisers and then we could comb her out or maybe shave her ourselves. Other than this i can't think of anything else.
Fleur is 14.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
09-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #2

Re: Help for very matted Persian

Oh Shelley, how distressing for you, your friend and poor Fleur. I am afraid I can offer no suggestions, never having had a cat that needs grooming.

Hopefully other Catseyers can offer more practical advise.

Catsey Veteran

09-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #3

Yes angie i would never have a long haired Cat myself although they are lovely. I just wouldn't be able to devote so much time for grooming. Give me short haired anytime.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Two Tabby Girls
09-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #4

Wish I could offer practical advice.

Alfie was semi long hair and did get the odd matt. I had a matt splitter which I got at PAH for £2/3. Just sounds to me that this is a job beyond that.

Hope some of our long haired owners will be more knowlegeable.

Just a thought - is it a cat friendly vet she has? Would a 'cat' vet be a bit more able/willing to try other things??

Catsey Veteran

09-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #5

we have taken our cats to this vets with no problems but what i dont like is that recently you don't seem to see the same one twice.
My friend said the nurse was a bit off with her .I've never heard of a matt splitter. Could be something for the future to keep on top of the problem.
I did try to help get some Knots out but Fleur couldn't tolerate even a minute.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
09-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #6

Hmmm. Long haired cats are OK as long as you keep on top of the grooming. Once the fur is clear of mats you can actually go quite a while between brushes - mine usually only get a thorough brushing about once a week and are fine with it.

Fifi did have a lot of mats as I didn't mess with her between and after the ops and bit by bit I got them out . . . but she's used to being brushed, although she doesn't like it very much,

14 is very late to start getting a cat used to brushing. Personally, if there are no underlying health issues your friend should consider having Fleur anaesthatised and having a crew (lion) cut. Now is the weather to do it in. If she is not able to maintain the grooming afterwards there are plenty of pet salons who will visit and carry out the necessary brushing.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
09-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #7

I was going suggest a professional groomer as they have more expertise than vets even , esp with cantankerous cats. Depends how badly matted the fur is but they could do a cut that minimises work in the future.

You mention that your friend can't get down to groom Fleur but how about lifting her up onto a cupboard, have some one to do that, then get some one to hold her firm in a towel and do little at a time. Much easier to groom at waist level, even for fat ol me & cats feel happier when up high.

Can't recommend a furminator highy enough, also, gardening gloves to protect you from the odd play scratch !

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Leia: blue torbie
09-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #8

Some good advice there about a professional groomer; also having her on a counter later. My friend's elderly Persian fought home grooming so violently that she did have to be sedated and shaved at the vet. Incredible how small she really was with all that fur off.

I love the look of Persians and other LH breeds but could not cope with the grooming.

Catsey Veteran

09-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #9

Thank you very much for all your great advice, i will pass it all on to my friend.