Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 oriental SH cross & 1 LH mog
atracattus is Male
14-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

Sneaky fatty

On of our cats, Felix (otherwise known as Fatty Bum Bum in our household) is somewhat overweight. He needs to lose about 3.5 lbs. We have tried all sorts of diets over the years, but he is never satisfied with the amount of food he has to eat. He is perfectly healthy in all other areas, but as he is edging past middle age I fear it may cause him problems.

So, my question is whether there is a diet food which comes in substantial form, in other words enough quantity to fulfil his gluttonous appetite.

He eats at set meal times rather than grazing all day, as he is one of those cats which will finish all the food in front of him even if it makes him sick. So we have to give him a measured amount twice a day. In the morning it is 40gr dried food, and the evening it is 3rd of a tin of wet food. I try to exercise him, but he is a lazy sot!

The amount of food he is fed shouldn't be a problem, but he is far too intelligent and when he is hungry enough he can get into cupboards (even though we have child locks on them) and packets, get through doors into other rooms where other cats are fed, sneaks food off of plates and takes advantage of our 3yr old son etc. He is a house cat so we know he isn't eating anything outside.

When he is on a diet he just seems desperate and hassles all day long for food, he seems to know when is diet food! It's enough to drive you insane!

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 DSH. 2 DLH
15-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #2

Re: Sneaky fatty

In dogs you would look for a food high in fibre as fibre makes you feel fuller for longer, i dont know if same applies to cats. Its worth looking into tho.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 oriental SH cross & 1 LH mog
atracattus is Male
15-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #3

Yeah I thought of that, but the only high fibre foods are generally hairball or constipation diets, and are not generally in weight loss foods that I have come across. Plus I don't want him to end up with loose bowels. One thing I was thinking about is heavily poaching chicken breast and using it to fill out his meals, but I can't find much info on calorific and protein quantities in poached chicken.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Tiger and Lester
15-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #4

I found this info a pound of breast chicken has around this: Calories 121, Calories from Fat 13, Total Fat 1.4g (sat 0.4mg), Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 96mg, Carbohydrate 0.4g, Fiber 0g, Protein 26.6g it would depend on the type of chicken too I'm sure. Hope this helps