Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Banned

Cats owned: Maine Coon
14-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Is there a way to home-prepare food without a grinder?

Hello!

Is there any way to prepare food from home without a grinder? I want to cook for Zelda, but I can't afford a grinder. She is currently eating wet food mixed with cat milk replacer, but she will be weened very soon, I think. Any advice? Thanks everyone.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Magnificent moggies
14-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #2

Re: Is there a way to home-prepare food without a grinder?

Hi Robin ..... apart from poached fish or chicken I've not actually cooked for my cats but I wouldn't think a grinder (food processor/mixer?) would be necessary. Might need a bit more slicing or chopping if you want to keep the food in fairly small pieces as I guess Zelda is a kitten.

Be sure that there is enough taurine in her diet - that's what tends to put me off the idea of home prepared food - making sure it is properly nutritionally balanced.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: 2 oriental SH cross & 1 LH mog
atracattus is Male
14-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #3

Re: Is there a way to home-prepare food without a grinder?

Balancing the correct minerals and vitamins is quite difficult and expensive. Preparing chicken breast or the like as a treat is a wonderful idea and your cat will love it! No need for a mincer, just chop it up finely. But keep it to only a couple of times a week so that Zelda gets maximum benefit from proper kitten food. There are so many good additives that are put into good kitten food that if you want to supply a good diet on a budget your best way is to purchase it ready made.

I must emphasise what Angie says about taurine, particularly in the early formative years. We have a cat who has a damaged heart that is so advanced it is irreversible, which we highly suspect was caused by a lack of taurine (through being fed dog food) in her diet through the years before she came into our care.