Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Cross-breed (Maine Coon)
21-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Low Protein diet tips.

Hello All

If you've seen my posts today you'll know Billy's thyroid is now under control and his kidney and liver enzymes were stable, if on the high side.

My vet has suggested a low protein diet and we changed him to senior food after the results of the first blood test.

Thing is, he's a picky eater and likes a treat. If anyone has some advice on some wet and dry foods (he eats a bit of both) and some treats that are low in protein that your cats like, I'd really appreciate it .

He drinks cat milk and spring water, but he prefers the milk. Should I try and wean him off the milk or give it sparingly? I don't want to deny the old boy too many of his pleasures in life if I don't have to .

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggies
21-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

Re: Low Protein diet tips.

Vets tend to advise a low protein diet to help prevent or maintain kidney function but this isnt a proven fact. Too much phospherous in a cats diet can cause considerably more damage to the kidneys. Cats as you know are obligate carnivores and so they need a higher level of protein than say a dog does.
Have a good read of the following link, it should help greatly.
http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm

Catsey Junior

21-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine
Vets tend to advise a low protein diet to help prevent or maintain kidney function but this isnt a proven fact. Too much phospherous in a cats diet can cause considerably more damage to the kidneys. Cats as you know are obligate carnivores and so they need a higher level of protein than say a dog does.
Have a good read of the following link, it should help greatly.
http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm
Oh, thanks Elaine! Billy is under weight just now so I was thinking 'how the heck do I get the weight back on him on a low protein diet!?'. I'll have a read of the link you sent me now

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #4

A very informative site, full of helpful info on over active thyroids, High blood pressure etc.

Catsey Junior

21-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
A very informative site, full of helpful info on over active thyroids, High blood pressure etc.
It's great, I've bookmarked it as there's a lot to take in but the message that resonates with me most is 'the main thing is that your cat eats!'. We don't feed him rubbish, his only remotely human treat is a bit of cheese we hide his tablets in and a little bit of the chicken my Mum browns off when we have a stir fry or lasagne (once a week, twice at most and a small quantity).

Catsey Veteran

21-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaina
It's great, I've bookmarked it as there's a lot to take in but the message that resonates with me most is 'the main thing is that your cat eats!'. We don't feed him rubbish, his only remotely human treat is a bit of cheese we hide his tablets in and a little bit of the chicken my Mum browns off when we have a stir fry or lasagne (once a week, twice at most and a small quantity).
Absolutely.
There is alot to take in and if you ever need any help with anything just shout.

Catsey Junior

22-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Absolutely.
There is alot to take in and if you ever need any help with anything just shout.
Thanks Elaine

I actually had a stoke of luck last night as I had a chat on Twitter with Steve Leonard, the TV vet. He was smashing, reassured me I am doing the best I can, and agrees that at this precise moment, maintaining his thyroid stability is the most important thing and getting his weight back up.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
22-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #8

Like Billy Mitzi has hyperthyrodism. I find Purina Pro Plan Sensitive dry works, on top of this I try and make sure she gets at least 2 wet tins of Gourmet Gold chicken and liver (liver's good) with warm chicken broth. It only takes a little of the dry food to go a long way, the wet contains lots of water..When feeding the dry make sure Billy always has a bowl of fresh water or milk to hand.

And stay away from anything fishy and anything high in purines.

Catsey Junior

23-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthisouthere
Like Billy Mitzi has hyperthyrodism. I find Purina Pro Plan Sensitive dry works, on top of this I try and make sure she gets at least 2 wet tins of Gourmet Gold chicken and liver (liver's good) with warm chicken broth. It only takes a little of the dry food to go a long way, the wet contains lots of water..When feeding the dry make sure Billy always has a bowl of fresh water or milk to hand.

And stay away from anything fishy and anything high in purines.
Thank you! I'll check out the Purina Pro Plan. He always has a choice of dry and plenty of water available all the time .

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Birman.
27-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #10

How is Billy, Gaina? If he's anything like a typical Maine Coon he'll be out and enjoying the weather lots!
My MC boy used to like to eat the most strangest of things, runner beans was one of his fetishes.